A Witch Hunt For An Exit

Chapter 5

Josh's pov

On the second night, I pretend to go to sleep. Hopefully, Oliver sneaks out again.

My mind is numb and I can't decide if I'm thinking too much or not a lot. Now I'm thinking about thinking so it's straining my brain more and I'm probably now just overthinking about thinking even though I'm not thinking. Not of anything serious at least.

Gradually I let the air out of my lungs until it hurts and then I breathe in the stale chemical air. The air is thin and cold due to the air conditioning that fills the room with a buzzing sound. It clicks and beeps regularly but that's not the sounds that keep me up at night.

The sounds of people crying or the commotion that happens through the night. Sometimes the air conditioner will turn off and everything will get dead quiet and I'm nervous that Oliver can hear me think.

I know he's 'asleep' but I feel like he's always hearing and studying things around him. It's either he notices nothing or everything but I can't tell. He didn't notice that I was awake this morning when I saw his cuts... Maybe he is just oblivious to things around him.

The squeak of his bed almost gives me a heart attack because it's dead silent. I listen hoping that he's sneaking out but I don't hear anything. It's not pitch black so if I turn around and he is sneaking out he'll know I'm away and I don't want that.

I stare at the white wall that looks gray because of the lighting in here.

My tongue runs across the front of my teeth and I realize I forgot to brush my teeth. I did brush my teeth in the morning but I forgot to do it before I went to bed.

What was this place supposed to do for me? They are apparently working on getting me diagnosed with something so they can give me medicine but that hasn't happened yet. I wonder if this place helps people like Oliver. Is he getting better is he broken beyond repair.

He doesn't act like a normal person. Nobody here does. Andy is probably the most normal but he is constantly joking about killing himself and tells stories on how he tried to commit suicide over ten times but people stopped him or it didn't work.

Ronnie is an addict and has anger issues plus he tried to kill himself. He's very cocky and I don't like him. I don't like Andy either. Or anyone here.

Alan seems very bubbly and happy but the cuts and scars all over his body tells a different story.

Long story short, everyone here is broken and crazy. Even though I know their names they are not my friends. I don't know them. They don't know me. And after I get out of here they will just be nameless faces- oh wait...

I'm not getting out of this place.

Its been at least fifteen minutes since the bed squeaked yet I never heard him so I turn over but he's not here. Oh... He really is quiet.

I get up and open the drawer. Carefully I get out the staple and look at the thin razor blade. This has a handle so I won't cut my thumb and that would help me. I can do this. I'm leaving this stupid world now.

I'm done with this which hunt, I found the exit.

I roll up both of my sleeves and look around. Just me in this dark lonely room. I let out a nervous puff of air. The pain doesn't matter because I'm trying to die. How long will it take? I take the protector cape off of it and put the blade to my wrist.

How many am I going to have to do?

I press down and drag it across quickly. It hurts and then blood starts pooling up. This is so scary. My heart thumps hard in my chest as I put it to my wrist again. Tears brim to my eyes as I think about why I'm doing this. How could she leave me when she knew I was only living for her?