end?

Three months later

Oli's pov

"Are you okay?" Josh says startling me. I didn't hear him walk in. Usually, it's the other way. I'm the one who walks quietly. He probably wasn't walking quietly I was just lost in thought. He comes over into the living room and sits next to me on the couch.

"Yeah, I actually am, " I say not lying. Years of not meaning this is sort of weird to mean now. I'm okay for once. Josh smiles and puts his warm hand on my knee. I'm wearing pants but there's a bunch of rips and holes do I can feel his warm hand on my bare skin.

"Can you cook for us. Husband, " I say and he laughs a little. It's my job to tease him about this. He told the doctors that he was my husband so they would let him visit me. I found it cute and funny but he seems embarrassed by it and tried to hide it from me so now I randomly bring it up.

He rolls his eyes playfully and hides a smile. "Yeah, Lasagna?" He asks. There are negative side effects to the medication I'm on but way less than the other. I actually have an appetite and don't sleep as much. I definitely sleep more than a normal person but I feel a little more alive.

I hallucinate less, I think. Apparently, I can't tell the difference but there are things that my therapist is helping me with and Josh is taking online classes about mental illnesses and psychology and now wants to be a therapist and know what is actually happening to me and him.

He goes to a therapist once a week and I think all this stuff is helping us. Josh's hand moves up to my thigh so I look at him confused. Me and him have just been friends since I tried to kill myself. Like, we do cuddle and do things like hold hands but we don't kiss or fuck. Sadly. It's just been us trying to get better with our mental health.

"Oli?" He asks and I feel butterflies in my stomach.

"Yeah?" I ask.

His eyes hold some kind of emotion that I can't understand. "I'm proud of you, " he says and my heart speeds up and I feel warmth spread I'm my chest and seeping into my soul. My lips turn up and I smile. Josh makes me happy.

Like... Actually happy.

"I'm proud of me and you, " I say and kiss his cheek making his face go red. "Now chop-chop, make me food slave, " I say getting up.

"From husband to slave in less than a minute, how nice, " he says jokingly complaining. He gets up too and follows me into the kitchen.  We aren't even dating but I can tell he would be a good husband. He'd never want to marry me but I'm not going to think about the negative.

He starts cooking so I get up on the counter and watch him. He's a good cook. If I could pick anyone to marry it would be him.

"Aren't you going to kill yourself before then?" The voice in my head says.

No. I'm done with all that shit. I'm just going to go with the flow. If I get in a car accident and die, oh well. But I'm not actively looking to die. I look at a bug on the floor and sigh. Josh looks at me. "What's wrong?" He asks.

"I hate hallucinations, " I say and he follows my eyes and looks at my hallucination. He squeals and flings himself away from the bug. Oh. I get off the counter and go to him.

"I hate bugs, " I say latching onto him.

"Me too but I'll catch it and put it outside, " he says and I smile. I hate it when people kill bugs. I step away and he gets a cup and bravely puts it over the beatle. He slides paper under it and I open the door for him and he takes it outside.

Once he's back inside he hugs me. "You haven't been hallucinating that much lately?" He asks.

"True, it's more just the voices but I know they aren't real, " I say and he kisses my forehead.