Chapter 31 - Fire

Maddie POV:
Ever since be brought Lennox home from the hospital he's been a peaceful sleeper, I think everyone in the house is glad about that. I heard that when Elias was born he never stopped yelling and would keep everyone up for hours, but Knox (Lennox's nickname) would sleep peacefully through the night. Until tonight.

I woke up to the sound of him screaming, his bedroom is the closest to mine so I was probably the first one to hear it. I got out of bed and went to his door, it was dark so I couldn't see anything, but light illuminating from the crack in the door. No wonder he couldn't sleep someone must have forgot to turn the light of. I went to reach the door handle but I was hot, I was so confused, but I used my shirt as a barrier in between my hand and the nob. When I opened the door I saw a terrifying sight.

Fire had erupted all around the room. "LENNOX!" I screamed. I ran into the room, there was still a path that wasn't on fire that I took.

I got over to my baby brother and held him in by arms for a second. I was about to run out the door when part of the ceiling collapsed. "HELP!" I started screaming for anyone who could here. Soon enough Alex walked groggy out of his bedroom.

"Maddie it's 3am—" he stopped when he saw me in a room engulfed by flames. He ran towards the door, but the flames stopped him from going. "Maddie I can't get through!

I'm the moment I thought of all my options. "I'm going to pass you Knox, okay?"

"Ya," he held out his arms over the flame as I passed my baby brother over. He landed safely in Alex's arms.

"GO GET HELP! Get everyone out of the house, I'll find a way out!" I yelled at him. He didn't move for a second.

"Maddie I'm not leaving you here!" He protested.

"Go! Go get help! Get everyone out! Alex you don't have any other options!" I screamed until he obeyed.

He ran off and started knocking on every door. "EVERYONE UP! FIRE! THERES A FIRE! WE ALL NEED TO GET OUT" He screamed from up the hall.

Soon Sam came out of his room that was across the hall and he must have saw me as he was running out. "MADDIE!" He yelled. "STAY THERE IM GOING TO GET YOU OUT I PROMISE!" The flames were starting to get huge and had spread into the hallway. Sam started running, downstairs, he came back a minute later with a fire extinguisher. "THIS WONT PUT IT OUT BUT IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO CLEAR A SAFE PASS!"

He sprayed the fire extinguisher on a section of the fire, I knew it wouldn't last so I ran quickly to him. He grabbed me, "oh my god Maddie your skin is so hot! Are you okay?" Sam told me.

"I'm fine, where is everyone did they make it out?" I asked.

"Ya, there already outside we have to go now!" Sam yelled. We started running when part of the ceiling collapsed. I was about to run into it when Sam pulled me back. He tried to put it out with the fire extinguisher but it was no use. "We're trapped."

We were stuck in a literal ring of fire, trapped in between the walls and ceiling. "Sam, Incase I don't get to tell you. I love you." I told him, scared this would be out last moments.

"Hey don't talk like that," my brother started coughing. "Your gonna make it out of here I promise." He said in between coughs.

"Your? Sam if I make it out, you make it out." I told him, now look who's the optimistic one. I started coughing, a lot.

A few minutes later Sam started to sway. "Sam?" He suddenly collapsed on the floor. "SAM!" He blacked out, I moved his unconscious body into a tight ball to protect him from the flames that were coming closer. Soon enough I felt sleepy, I couldn't keep my eyes awake. I lyed down next to Sam, grabbed my big brothers hand, and let darkness overtake me.

Lorenzo POV:
I woke up to Alex screaming "EVERYONE UP! FIRE!" As soon as I heard fire, I was up. I shook my beautiful sleeping wife awake.

"Lorenzo what time is it?" She mumbled.

"Bella, there's a fire we need to go now!" I replied. She shot out of bed and we ran to the bedroom door. I saw Alex running towards us. "Where is everyone?"

"Maddox has Knox, and Noah, Colton, Elias, and Kade are with him outside safe."

"WHERES SAM AND MADDIE?" I yelled.

"Maddie's trapped in the nursery, Sams helping her get out!" My third oldest responded. "I tired to help her but she told me to get everyone out."

"Alex, take your mother, and get out of the house. DO NOT COME BACK IN UNDERSTOOD!"

He nodded and ran to the door with Mirabella. I started running towards the nursery, "MADDIE! SAM! KIDS!" I got no response. I saw a fire extinguisher on the floor and in the moment I thought they used it to get out. They were safe. I ran to the front door and outside, to see that they were not there. "Where are Sam and Maddie? I thought they got out?!" I began to panic.

"They never got out dad." Noah looked at me teary eyed. I turned to go back in. "No dad stop!" He tried to stop me from going into my house that was completely on fire.

"I HAVE TO GO AND GET THEM!" I screamed when we heard sirens.

"Dad it's too dangerous, that's the fire department, you have to let them do this. Trust them." Maddox tried to reason with me.

The firefighters parked the truck and got out, "you all need to back away from the house." One of them said.

"TWO OF MY KIDS ARE STILL IN THERE!" I screamed.

He looked at me empathetically, and grabbed his walki talki. "Everyone listen up, we got two kids still trapped inside the house, send John, Lincoln, Mac, and Riggs in to get them. Everyone else start trying to put if the fire." He turned back to us "I'm sorry, but you really do need to stand back. The paramedics are on their way."

All of waited for some word, anything. God are they even alive. Are they together, please may my kids be together. If they have to face this horror, please allow them to do it together. Mirabella was crying, I had tears in my eyes knowing I couldn't do anything to help them. God how could I be so stupid, leave them in there alone. I left them. I left my kids in a burning building.

Five minutes later a fireman came back with something on his shoulder, wait that's a someone. It's Sam, a few seconds later another fireman came out carrying Maddie. They ran them towards the ambulance. We all started to run towards them in the ambulance.

"How are they?" I asked, please be alive.

The EMT looked at me. He moved his finger to Sams neck. "He's alive, they most likely passed out from smoke inhalation. However his core temperature is too hot, we're going give him something to cool it down."

"What about her?" Kade asked the other EMT.

"She's also alive, her core temperature is way to high, and she has third degree burns to her legs and arms." The EMT replied. I was so thankful that they were alive.

"She got those saving Knox." Alex spoke up.

I turned to him confused. "What?"

"Maddie was the first one to wake up, she found Knox in the nursery engulfed in flames. She handed me Knox and told me to get everyone out." Alex told her heroic story. "She's the reason we all got out"

I stood there thinking about my amazing daughter for a minute before the EMT's spoke. "We're taking them to the hospital now, we can take one person per vehicle."

"Mirabella honey, go with Sam, I'll go with Mads." I told her. We both got into the ambulance, and a all too familiar feeling washed my mind. I remember less than two years ago, my little Maddie was in this same position. Before the EMT closed the door I yelled to Maddox. "Maddox, watch your siblings." And with that they closed the door and we were off to the hospital.