Chapter 39 - Life of a Father

(A/N: I haven't done a POV from Lorenzo in a while so here you go. It's just a quick fluff chapter, but it's still cute.)

Lorenzo POV:
I have been hunting Dimitri for about a month now with the assistance of Esteban's Mafia. I feel like a we failure to my kids. I couldn't even save my own son when we was held at gunpoint. I was spending all my time tracking Dimitri, I haven't even gone home sometimes from our warehouse. I wish I could be there with Mirabella every night, but she understands what I am trying to do.

We tried getting information from Romano when we found out he was the mole but he didn't talk. I can't believe I trusted him, he worked for my father and he betrayed us and well, you can probably guess what happened to him after we realized he would talk. In my defense, he was the reason my son was in a coma and daughter sent to the hospital.

Tomorrow is my baby boy's and little Principessa's third and eighteenth birthday. I wanted more than anything for Dimitri to be caught or dead by now, but I see now that is shown to be rather difficult.

I came home for the first time in a week today, so they could know I would be there when they woke up in their birthday. I wanted to be home with them every night, I wish we could live in peace, no fear of a attack from enemies, but that was not the life we were given. We were cursed with a life of danger and threats, a life I wish more than anything I could protect them from.

I was walking through the hallway when I saw my baby girl reading to her little brother. She was reading a children's book called Family is Forever. I stood and the doorframe and watched. I smiled at how beautiful she was and how good a sister she was to not just Knox but all the boys.

I watched in the doorframe until she noticed that Knox and fallen asleep. She went to pick him up but I walked in to do it for her.

"Dad you are home?!" She whispered softly.

I smiled. "You didn't think I would miss singing happy birthday to my baby girl when she wakes up did you?"

"Dad I'm going to be eighteen, I'm not a baby anymore." She replied sarcastically. I rolled my eyes.

"You're right. You are a beautiful, strong, independent woman, however you always be my baby girl." I kissed her on the forehead and tucked her in.

I picked up Knox to take him in his room. A quiet "Night dad." left Maddie's lips.

"Night baby." I replied before I turned off the light and closed the door.