Trust Me

Chapter 13: Trust Me
Pushing away the drawers that covered the tunnel, Shuichi offered her to go first as she thanked him and went inside. Kaede went inside after him until she paused for a moment and turned around. "Wait." There she was, Mahiru. Kaede couldn't help but feel as if she's seen that face before but she ignored the feeling and glared at her, pointing her rifle. Shuichi turned around to check out what's taking her so long before his eyes widened, he suddenly lost his words. "Put it down, I'm here to help." She raised her hands up to show no sign of a weapon, "Oh, really? Don't act as if you didn't try to put me back into that room." Kaede took her hand off of the gun and pointed at her wounds. "I-I... Look, I didn't know Rantaro was doing that. Trust me, I don't know what's happening most of the time." Shuichi tilted his head at her whilst Kaede gave her a confused look. "I-I'm being serious! The only job I have around here is hand out the bombs or give in deliveries we receive from others." Kaede lowered her rifle down but still kept her guard up, "And that doesn't make you a bad person?" Shuichi knew what Mahiru was doing is wrong but he felt a bit bad for her, "No.. I know it doesn't, okay? I just want to help." She gave a look of worry for the both of them, Kaede's expression softened as Shuichi felt a bit of trust for her.

"There is one thing I have to point out, though..." She said, turning her focus to the ground. "What?" Shuichi asked. Mahiru turned her head to look back at the two of them, "The moment the both of you leave, you will never find freedom." Upon hearing this, Kaede raised her rifle and pulled the trigger to shoot- "Kaede!" She snapped out of her trance to face Shuichi, "H-Huh?" Saihara sighed. "You didn't let her finish..." Kaede turned her head back to the red head and growled, "What the hell were you talking about?" Mahiru's gaze saddened from her once fearful expression from the sight of the rifle and she continued, "Kok- I mean.. The phantom thief won't leave you, Shuichi. He'll keep chasing you. And he's either out to kill Kaede or Rantaro will." The female's gaze turned almost.. Crazed? It looked as if she wanted to murder someone. But Shuichi didn't notice, Mahiru did. "Excuse me..?" She turned to face Shuichi as she tried to ignore the death glare she received from the blonde. "Who's name did you try to say?" Shuichi's eyes narrowed down on her, he knew it. He knows that he has met this person, he understands now.

It feels so familiar. He is almost sure that he can figure it out. "I.. I can't tell you that. Otherwise he'll have my head. Literally." Saihara snapped, "Why can't you just leave with us?! You clearly aren't happy here, so why not come? Leave this hell!" He was about to burst into tears at any moment, but Kaede didn't hear what they said. Her hatred for Rantaro was burning inside of her. Mahiru looked down almost feeling guilty, "His name... It's Kokic-"

"Kaede! Where are you going?!" She ran out the door with the rifle in her hand, "Hey! Wai-" Mahiru froze as she saw Kaede aiming the rifle at her. "Don't." Is all she said, and she ran out the door. Shuichi attempted to get out of the tunnel to go after his friend but Mahiru pushed him, "No! There's no way out anymore, if you follow her then your better off dead." About to protest, he heard loud gun shots flowing through his ears as well as the sound of running onto the metal ground. Tears prickled in the corner of his eyes, because he knew.. That whoever this girl was, she was right. Following Kaede would be a death wish, and even if he did there would be no way to protect her. Shuichi went forward into the tunnel, it felt like metal all around the inside. Luckily it was pretty big but Mahiru followed along behind him instead to keep an eye from behind. Just to make sure that no one had followed them unless it was Kaede which is unlikely. As she hurried him to continue whilst she grabbed the drawers and pushed them towards each other to hide the tunnel. Following from behind him, she sighed in sadness. "Shuichi..." He didn't respond, he just continued on trying to find a way through this tunnel that almost felt like a vent to walk through.

It definitely did look like one though, "I know, Kaede probably won't be coming back.." She broke the obvious news to him, Shuichi muttered out a 'Mhm..' As he felt even more tears flow down. Mahiru stared down onto the metal ground, Kokichi sure does love metal.. She continued to go on with her thoughts until she saw little droplets of water, she couldn't tell at first due to the darkness but she felt it. "Shuichi.. A-Are you crying?" He stopped in his tracks but resumed to keep going once more. I'll take that as a yes... After what felt like an eternity, the sounds of gun shots in the distance stopped. That's probably because Kaede had died. Shaking off the thought, he faced the front of him. Shuichi spotted something in the distance. "H-Hey..! I think I can see some light up ahead!" He exclaimed in happiness as he continued to crawl even faster but he paused once he suddenly smelt something.. Strange? "What's that.. S-Smell..?" Shuichi's head flopped down onto his arms, "Sorry, I.. This is my home, we can't be found out. Especially our location..." His mind went fuzzy and he felt the urge to close his eyes, his body went limp. What's going to happen now? Is she going to take him back to the thief? That murder?! He desperately hoped not, he felt arms wrap around him and started pulling him away from somewhere. He didn't know which direction she was taking him but he hoped it wasn't towards that criminal but instead.. His home.

"Kaede..." He whispered to himself before he finally fell asleep.