Disbelief

"I guess I really am dense, because for once... I saw through your mask."

Chapter 16: Disbelief

The officers ran towards Maki's injured form whilst Kokichi smiled at me. Suddenly, I heard the sound of a car speeding. Kokichi walked towards me, backing away from him, I continued to stare at him with betraya- "Get in!" The door opened to reveal Kirigiri with wide eyes, I jumped into the black crossover from pure shock and confusion. "Detective Kirigiri?" My uncle stared at her with a puzzled look, she just nodded at him and quickly rode the car. Looking out the window, I see Kokichi staring at me with his 'signature look' Kokichi's empty expression. The car drove pass him as he no longer was in view. I turned to face Kirigiri, I was in complete shock. As much as I had seen her on TV, I never saw her in person. I'm sure she does know me considering that she used to work for my uncle until she quit. "D-Detective Kirigiri, whats going o-" She quickly cut me off, "Just call me Kyoko." I nodded at her, "I don't think theres any explanation to this. Ouma is the phantom thief, yes, I've known that before you." Confusion crept upon my face, "What? How?" She let out a scoff. "Throughout the time I've been working on 'that' case, he's been trying to murder me." Kyoko continued, "It took a while to escape once he trapped me. When I first woke up, he didn't have his mask on." Memories of Kokichi's mask underneath his bed flew through Shuichi's head. "He thought there would be no point in hiding his face since I was going to die." Kyoko stopped the car as it was red light. "Then I recognised him as Kokichi Ouma. Oh, wait! What a pure coincidence, didn't he meet me after I started working on this case?" She then turned to face him with a bored expression. "You'd be an idiot to not realise that, Shuichi." She scolded him. "I had to quit because of my safety, that thief was really serious about murdering me." Shuichi felt worry for the girl. "I had to move places because he tracked down everything about me, where I lived, my bank details, everything." The photo's Kokichi had of him in that box. "Though I wanted to tell the police, Kokichi would've bombed the whole building I was in. Even he admitted it." 

"When I heard that you were working on this case, I knew you would either be dead or imprisoned." 

'Hah... You got that right.' Shuichi nervously thought to himself. "Turns out that Kaede girl rescued you." Turning his head to face her, Shuichi questioned her. "H-How did you know that?" Kyoko frowned at his high rate of suspicion. "I secretly visited her in the hospital, there was news about you both being under the phantom thief's reign." Already? "But why did you come visit us?" The green light shun and Kyoko drove forward, "When I heard what happened on the news, I came to visit you and maybe help out but..." She paused. "The people that work for Kokichi was surrounding the hospital. I know them because I saw them when I was kidnapped." For a second, Shuichi felt his heart drop. "...What?" The retired detective suppressed a sigh, "It means that he was trying to take you again, Shuichi." His face paled. This whole time, the person he was calling a 'friend' was the true monster. Shuichi was in pure disbelief, this was so unexpected. Why did this happen? "Kyoko." Shuichi started off, she muttered out a 'mhm' and he continued. "Where are we going?" Kyoko replied, "Manchester, you'll be staying in the same hotel I'm hiding in." As much as he wanted to disagree, he knew she was the only one to actually help him. At least Shuichi wont be alone. "Also..." Kirigiri listened intently, "Did he ever mention about a 'game' he wanted to play with you?"

Opening the white door leading inside the car, Kokichi slammed it behind him. "K-Kokichi-" He quickly cut Mahiru off, "Follow that car!" Kokichi pointed into the distance. "But we don't have the guards with us!" Mahiru exclaimed, "Thats fine, the two of us are good on our own." The thief grabbed his mask in the back including his cape. "Now drive!" He screeched. 

"Ah!" Shuichi and Kyoko let out a small scream as their car felt a bump from the back. "Shit..!" She mumbled to herself as her eyes scanned the white van behind them. Shuichi followed her direction and he suddenly felt terrified. The front of the car had two people covered in clown masks, he could tell that the driver wasn't Kokichi because their eyes were red. Wait... Red? Is that the same girl from before? 

"Kokichi, we don't have enough fuel." He growled, "Well, fuck! We have to get them quickly then." Reaching for his gun that he used on Maki, he raised his hand out the windo- "Don't! We already have police cars behind us." Kokichi held a confused look. "What? Why?" She then sighed, "Because a certain somebody decided that it would be a good idea to suddenly shoot a girl and run off in a car." He was still confused and Mahiru could tell so she sighed. "Isn't that suspicious?" The thief was snapped out of his confusion, "Oh, yeah..." An angry look came back onto his face, "Guess we have to do this differently." Kokichi took off his mask and raised the phone up to his hair. "Who are you calling?" The boy smiled at Mahiru who also took off her mask. "It looks like Shuichi and dear Kyoko are going to manchester." She rolled her eyes whilst staring at the car in front of her, "...That doesn't answer my question." Shuichi looked back at them as Kokichi glared at the detective who quickly turned his head away. "Look, I'm already angry and now your trying to piss me off?" She ignored his words. "I'm calling her. She lives manchester, remember?" The girl tilted her head, "You mean that other worker who has the video game shop?" Kokichi nodded. Kyoko and Shuichi looked at the back of the window to double check that they were still following them. "Yep. Lets park there." Kokichi pointed to another direction. Mahiru nodded at him as Kokichi waved at Kyoko and Shuichi with a smirk. 

Saihara felt a chill up his spine whilst Kyoko sighed in annoyance. He suddenly felt a hand pat his back, "Its okay, he plays these games quite often." She comforted him. "We're still in London and it'll take a while to get to Manchester, so I doubt he'll have enough time to catch up to us." 

But she does.