Tension in the Shortest Moment

Chapter 18: Tension in the Shortest Moment

Gobbling up the food, I sighed in relief as I felt full. "You must have enjoyed that, Shuichi." I nodded at her with a small smile, "Yeah, I guess. But I hope we aren't eating this for a while." Kirigiri shrugged her shoulders, "Maybe. You never know." We currently sat outside on the steps of the shop, we were eating a sandwich as she was pretty slow with finishing. The shop behind us was coloured fawn with small windows showing the inside, people decorated the room as the walls were a creamy white along with the wooden floor and oak doors wide open. Stacks of cheap food piled along each other on the right hand-side as wooden tables sat near the paying counter. Unfortunately, they were full but we figured it would be better to eat outside.
"So... What's next?" I asked Kyoko, "We've got to play it cool, take the attention off of us and pretend to be normal." I gave her a confused look before she sighed. "In case any of the members in that criminal's team arrives here, then they'll probably shrug us off if they see us living normally."

Before I knew it, we were already walking along the streets as we keep our heads down. We had to avoid eye contact. "You must be a pro at this, Shuichi."
"What?"
After arriving at a couple of shops, we thought it would be best to hide somewhere more crowded. "How about there, Kyoko?" I pointed at the game shop. She was hesitant for a moment before she nodded, "I guess so." Trudging inside, we made our way through the crowd; awing at everything we walked pass by. "Nanami sure does make a lot of games." I commented, "Thank you." I jumped as I turned around, already noticing Kyoko staring at her with a suspicious look.

"Hahah... Sorry if I scared you. I just noticed that you looked really familiar." My face paled, "Sorry, but we've just remembered that we have somewhere to go t-"Feeling my arm being pulled, I felt my body being dragged. "Oh! I'm sure you two have some more time left." My cheeks lightened up at the sound of her voice, it was incredibly soft and quiet despite her excitement. Kyoko let out a, "Tch." As she balled her fists. Nanami continued to show us around, pointing at all the games she made and her first games. The video on the screen was keeping the kids at bay, as most people were starting to leave. "Huh? Why are they all leaving? It's only the afternoon." Nanami barely gave any care, Kyoko was getting more annoyed by the minute. "Shuichi, I have a really bad feeling about thi-"
"Shuichi?"
Upon hearing the gamers words, we both turned to face her Kirigiri realised her mistake. Before we could say anything, the screen suddenly turned a violet purple glitching with loud noises. "The heck is going on?" I heard the girl next to me, Nanami decided to keep her mouth shut as she watched everything unfold. Everyone turned to face the screen with confusion. People then immediately started walking out, almost acting like robots. The store became empty as it soon enough was only the owner, Kyoko and I left.

"Uh... Nanami-"

"You pesky little rat, when are you going to come?" Her tone deepened, I saw Kyoko's eyes widen as my heart dropped.