Hospital

Modern Day AU Katherine hurt their ankle and is laid up with a cast and crutches. Jack is sitting next to them, doodling little hearts on their cast to cheer them up.

Katherine groaned as she blinked her eyes open. The smell of cleanliness and hospitals filling her nose. She squinted as the light flooded her eyes.

"Kath? Oh thank God Ace." Jack said, his grip on her hand tightening as she turned her head to face him.

"Jack, what happened?" She rasped, her throat dry and scratchy. She let go of his hand and reached for the water on the table next to hers.

"We were driving home, from our date." Jack said, wiping his eyes. "And a truck, it just came out of nowhere." He whispered, gripping her hand tightly.

"How long have I been asleep?" She asked, fiddling with his fingers.

"A day. God Ace, you scared me so much." He brought her hand up to his mouth and kissed the back of her hand.

"You think a truck can get rid of me Jack Kelly?" Katherine laughed, her eyes widening in alarm when tears began to drip down his face. "Oh, sweetheart." She said softly, cupping his cheek and wiping his tears.

Jack leant into her touch, bringing his chair closer to her bed. "Ace." He whispered and ran his hands through her hair.

"I'm going to be ok." She said and shuffled closer to the end of the bed, only then realising that her leg was in a cast. "What happened to me?"

"When the truck hit, you took most of the impact. Five of your ribs were broken, two were fractured and your leg was broken in two places."

Katherine stared at him, he looked unharmed. "And you? What happened to you?" She whispered, squeezing his hand in reassurance.

"Nothing, really. I got a couple of stitches." Jack said, running has hand over one of the stitches on his forehead. "I'm so sorry Ace. If I could switch places with you, I wouldn't be sitting here."

Katherine laughed, ever the gentleman. "You can make it up to me by cuddling with me." She said and patted the space next to her.

Jack nodded, slipping off his shoes and carefully climbing into bed next other. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder, placing it behind her head. "Are you comfy? I'm not hurting you?" He asked.

"I'm fine, my love. I just need some rest." She turned her head to look at him, kissing his cheek softly. "And by the looks of it, so do you."

Jack laughed softly, resting his head on top of hers. He stroked his hand up and down her arm and let himself fall asleep with her in his embrace.

--------------

"I'm bored!" Katherine exclaimed for the tenth time in two minutes. She glared at Jack as he began to laugh.

"I know you are Kath. I know." Jack said, rubbing across his face, smudging charcoal across his cheek.

Now it was Katherine's turn to laugh, but she had to stop as quickly as she began due to the pain in her ribs. She pointed at his face and laughed as his brow furrowed. "When am I allowed out of here?"

"Do you ever stop asking questions?" Jack groaned, wiping his face. He knew she hated hospitals, he did too.

She'd been stuck in this hell-hole for almost two weeks and she was bored out of her mind. "I want to leave."

"I know sweetheart. Only a couple more days, and then you're on bedrest till your ribs and legs are healed." Jack said, running his hands through her hair.

"Can I at least try and walk around?" She begged and tried to get out of bed, wincing at the pain in her ribs.

"Not until you're cleared by the doctors. I'm sorry Ace." Jack said and leaned forward to press a kiss her cheek. He shuffled his chair closer to her bed and picked up his sketch book and charcoal pencils.

"Does my father know I'm here?" She asked slowly. She knew her father and Jack had never gotten along and she knew that if her father knew she was here, he would blame Jack for everything.

"After he came to your apartment and couldn't find you, he called me. He's coming to visit later today." Jack said, not looking up from his sketch.

"Well, at least he's worried about me." Katherine said with a laugh, trying to look at what Jack was sketching. She pouted when he hid it from view. "Meanie." She said and stuck out her tongue.

"Yeah but you love me." He said and pressed a kiss to the side of her head.

"And you love me." She said and pulled him down to kiss her. She smiled against his lips and tried to deepen the kiss, groaning when he pulled away.

"Do you want to watch tv?" He asked, sitting on the edge of her bed and letting her rest against him.

"No. I want to go on a walk." She mumbled stubbornly, resting her head against his shoulder. She grabbed his charcoal covered hand and laced their fingers together.

"You are one of the most stubborn people ever." Jack groaned and got off from the bed. "I'm going to put some tv on." He said, grabbing the remote and putting on some weird comedy channel.

Katherine smiled and looked down at her leg, covered in an itchy white cast. "Are you allowed to draw on my cast?" She asked, laughing as Jack's eyes widened.

"I think so, why?" He asked, setting down his pencil and sketchpad. "Do you want me too?"

"Well, yeah. I mean it just looks so dull right now!" She exclaimed, throwing her hands above her head in frustration. She smiled when Jack pulled out the set of coloured pencils she gave him for his birthday a couple of months ago. "Can you draw something on it?"

"Of course." Jack said, leaning forward to kiss her lips before scooting his chair down to her leg and beginning to draw.

After a while, he looked up and saw Katherine had fallen asleep to the sounds of the tv and the scratchings of the pen. "Ace." He laughed, finishing off his drawing before gently moving his chair back so he could look at her.

He leant forward and kissed the top of her head before taking her hand and lacing their fingers together. He turned his head back to the tv and waited for her to wake up.

-----------

"You ok Ace?" Jack asked as he helped her out of the car and into the wheelchair. He laughed as she turned to face him, her bottom lip stuck out in a pout.

"I don't want to be in a wheelchair." She complained, crossing her arms in front of her chair.

"I know you don't. But you can't have crutches." He said and pushed open the door to their house. "Or I'd have to call you Crutchie 2.0!"

Katherine grinned up at him and reached behind her head to grab one of his hands.

"Can I call you Wheelie?" He asked, his eyes turning bright. He pushed her wheelchair further into the house and laughed when she smacked his hand.

"No you cannot call me Wheelie." She scolded and tried to get out of the wheelchair. "You can call me Ace, like normal."

Jack just laughed and bent down to kiss her lips, helping her out of the wheelchair and onto the sofa.

Katherine reached up and pulled him to sit next to her. She rested her head against his shoulder. She reached over to grab the tv remote but stopped when pain flared up in her ribs.

"Are you ok? What's wrong?" Jack asked quickly, gently manoeuvring her back into a sitting position.

"I want to watch tv." She said, hating who pathetic she felt and sounded. She just wanted to be out of all these bandages and casts.

Jack laughed and nodded, reaching over to grab the remote. He put Netflix on and wrapped an arm around her waist.

Katherine rested her head back against his shoulder and laced their fingers together. "I love you Jack."

"I love you too, Ace." He whispered, pressing a kiss to the side of her head.