Christmas at the Lodging House

"I don't understand how youse wrap presents." Jack said with a frustrated sigh, throwing his hands up in the air. He stared at the box and sighed, he was never going to get this wrapped.

"Ok let me help." Davey said, shuffling over to Jack and showing him how to wrap the presents. "See?"

Jack sighed and nodded, sticking his tongue out in concentration. "Better?"

"Better, but now you have to wrap the rest of them." Davey said, gesturing to the rest of the small pile.

"I hate Christmas."

"No youse don't." Race said, sitting back down on the bed. "Youse get presents." He exclaimed like it was the most logical thing in the world.

"And Santa visits!" Les shouted, making the boys laugh. "What?"

"What did youse all ask for?" Buttons asked, rolling over on his bed.

"Cigars!"

"Sketch pad."

"Tie!"

"A will to live!" Finch exclaimed, squealing when the boys all threw their caps at him.

"Way to ruin the mood." Crutchie said, still smiling brightly. He caught his cap as Finch threw it to him before looking around the room. "How many presents do youse all have left."

"Not many, wes couldn't really afford 'em." Jack said, laying on the floor and shutting his eyes.

"It don't matter, as long as we're together." Davey said, earning groans and Jack threw his tattered shoe at him. "What? Come on it's Christmas!"

The boys all laughed before going back to wrap their presents.

--------

Katherine looked up from her present wrapping as Jack walked into the room. "Honey, you have." She pointed to the piece of wrapping paper sticking out from under his hat.

Jack just laughed and pulled the paper out. "Youse ready ta go over ta the Lodging House?" He said, coming to sit next to her. He crossed his legs and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"Mhmm yeah." Katherine said, tilting her head to kiss him. She laughed as he pulled her into his lap, tilting her head back to deep the kiss.

"Actually wes gonna stay here for a bit." Jack whispered against her lips before kissing her again. He poured as Katherine pulled away. "What?"

"No, it's Christmas Eve and the boys are expecting us." Katherine said, climbing off his lap and starting to pack the presents in her bag. She smiled as Jack dropped down dramatically on the floor, "Come on sweetheart. You love Christmas."

"Only because youse is here with me." Jack said, sitting back up and staring at her. "Wes never had Christmas before wes met ya."

Katherine turned from where she was folding her clothes. "What? You never had Christmas?" She asked, coming round to sit next to him.

"Yeah, it wes knew bout it. But wes usually would have ta be sellin, so wes never got ta eat or presents." Jack said softly, his eyes filling with tears. He could still remember hearing other children shouting about their Christmas presents and he and the boys didn't even have food.

He used to spend his Christmas' starving, hearing the shouts of younger boys like Romeo and Buttons and Elmer when they didn't get any food. He remembered wanted presents, anything, but getting nothing.

"Oh darling." Katherine whispered, wiping his eyes. "I'm so sorry." She stared at him before pulling him into a tight hug.

Jack dug his head in her neck and held her tightly. Tears trickled down his cheeks as memories from his childhood flooded back.