Baby Newsies 2

Ok so this is set like a year after the first part

"Aye, where's Katherine?" Buckles asked, walking into the bunk room of the Lodging House.

Freckles looked up from her sketchbook, which was filled with small scribbles of herself and the newsboys. She shrugged before going back to sketching.

"Ise saw her in the kitchen." Sniper said from her bed, where she was playing tik tac toe with Dot.

"She's not there."

Freckles put her book down, tucking her hair behind her ear and walking out of the room. "Katherine?" She shouted, turning around when the other three children joined her.

"I'm just in the bathroom." Katherine shouted, not expecting the four children to burst in after.

"Kath?" Dot asked, his eyes going wide when he saw the brunette hunched over the toilet, her eyes watering. "Youse okay?"

Katherine smiled weakly before throwing up again. She lifted a hand and waved it, a sign for the kids to wait outside. She coughed harshly when she'd finished throwing up and slumped against the cabinet.

"Oh God." She groaned, wiping her mouth before flushing the toilet and standing up. She washed her hands and then gave her teeth a quick brush.

"Katherine?" Freckles called from outside, her voice shaking.

Katherine walked out of the bathroom, her legs shaking slightly, and smiled at the four children. She sat down on the floor next to them.

"Are you ok?" Sniper asked, looking at Katherine's pale face.

"Of course." Katherine said, helping Freckles climb into her lap. "I'm just ill." She said slowly, not know whether she wanted to tell four children what was really wrong.

"Is it catching?" Buckles asked, moving further away from her.

Katherine laughed, "No, God no. Don't worry." She said, picking Freckles up and taking Dot's hand.

"Then why were you ill?" Sniper asked as they all walked downstairs.

Katherine opened her mouth before shutting it again. "Because I just caught a something from Jack." She said slowly, sitting down with Freckles still on her lap.

"You said it was contagious." Dot said, crossing his arms and moving away from her.

"No it's not." She groaned and buried her head in her hands. "I'm pregnant." She whispered, looking through her fingers as the children looked at her. "I'm gonna have a baby." She didn't know what she expected, but it wasn't for all four children to go crazy, screaming and shouting in excitement.

"A baby?"

"Like a real life baby?!"

Katherine laughed and nodded, "Yes." She said, reaching forward and grabbing their hands so they sat down. "I would've expected that reaction from Jack and the boys. Not you." She said, ruffling Buckles' hair.

Katherine smiled and opened her arms and the other three children ran into her arms, hugging them all tightly.

----

"Is it going to be a boy or a girl?" Sniper asked, swinging her legs back and forth.

Katherine looked up from the sandwiches she was making and stared at Sniper. "I don't know. It's too early to know." She said, spreading the jelly onto the bread.

"What do youse want it to be?" Dot asked as he came to stand next to her.

"I don't know. As long it's healthy."

Freckles looked up from her sketchbook, "I drew somethin!" She exclaimed, waving the sketchbook in the air.

"Ohh let me see!" Katherine exclaimed, picking Freckles up as she ran into her arms. She smiled as Freckles handed her the picture. "Oh Freckles it's beautiful!"

"Really?" Freckles asked, her cheeks turning red.

"Of course!" Katherine said, running her fingers over the crayon drawings of the newsboys, Katherine, the little baby and the other children.

Freckles smiled brightly and hugged Katherine. "Thank you."

Katherine kissed Freckles' nose and grinned. "Now." She said, putting Freckles on the floor and helping Sniper off the counter, "Let's eat." She said, taking the plate of sandwiches and setting them on the living room table.

-----

Katherine gently set Buckles down in his bed, pulling the covers over his body. She straightened up and looked at the four sleeping children. Soon she'd have one of her own.

She turned and started to leave the room when Freckles called her name. "Hmm?"

"What happens when you have the baby?" She whispered, crawling out of the bed and standing next to Katherine.

"What do you mean?" Katherine asked, bending down to pick Freckles up, setting her on her hip.

"Will you still hang out here?"

Katherine smiled softly and nodded. "Of course." She whispered, carrying Freckles downstairs so they didn't wake the other kids. She set her down on the sofa and sat next to her.

"But you'll have your own baby. And you won't want to look after us." Freckles whispered, tears welling in her eyes.

"Oh honey. Of course I will." She said, giving the girl a hug.

"But what if the baby takes up all your time? And you forget about us?" Freckles cried, the only mother she'd ever had was going to be a mother to someone else.

"Freckles, hey look at me." Katherine said and pulled back. "I'm never gonna forget about you sweetheart."

"Promise?"

"Promise, honey. And you know I never break my promises." She whispered and hugged Freckles again. She heard the door open and the boys walk in but didn't think too much of it.

Freckles smiled and pulled away. "Even when we go off to sell? And it's just you and the baby?"

"A baby?" Jack asked.

"Oh God." Katherine mumbled under her breath as Jack and the boys moved towards her.

"Yeah! Like me when I was younger!" Freckles exclaimed and Crutchie laughed loudly.

Katherine turned to glare at Crutchie and stood up slowly, "Freckles, go upstairs for a bit." She whispered, shoving her towards the stairs.

"A baby?" Jack repeated, stepping closer to Katherine and putting a hand on her stomach.

"Yeah. A baby." Katherine whispered and saw all the Newsies watching them through the corner of her eye. "Our baby."

"We made a baby?" Jack said before pulling Katherine into a bear hug and kissing her hair repeatedly. He picked her up and twirled her around, laughing happily. "Wes gonna have a baby!"

Katherine laughed and hugged him tightly before he set her down. "We're gonna have a baby." She said before screaming as the newsies ran up to them and engulfed them in a hug.