Accidents and Apologies

Katherine didn't remember the last time she saw Jack or remember the last time she heard from him. They'd broken up a month ago and that month was the hardest of her life.

She'd missed him so much and they'd broken up over such a small thing, blown out of proportion. She'd screamed at him and forced him to leave, over something ridiculously small. That was the worst mistake of her life.

She jerked as her phone rang, pulling her from her thoughts. "Hello?"

"Hello, Miss Pulitzer?" The lady on the other side of the line asked.

Katherine frowned, she was only ever 'Miss Pulitzer' for work or emergencies, to everyone else she was 'Miss Plumber'. "Yes, this is she."

"We have you down as Mr Kelly's emergency contact. And he's been in an accident and is currently in the NYC Hospital."

Katherine's heart dropped and she almost dropped her phone. "Ok, I'll- I'm on my way." She said before hanging up the phone and dropping it into her lap. Her eyes filled with tears and she stood up on shaky legs. Despite breaking up with Jack she still loved and cared deeply for him.

She stared at her wall before shaking herself. She had to get to Jack. She slipped her phone into her jeans pocket before changing into her shoes and rushing out the house.

She slid into her car and started driving, her vision becoming blurry as she tried to keep her tears at bay. She drove into the parking lot, grabbing her handbag before running into the hospital.

"I'm here for Jack Kelly." She said with a slight pant as she stood in front of the receptionists desk. "I'm Katherine, his emergency contact."

"He's in room 217." The receptionist said, looking over Katherine. "You can go up and see him, but don't wake him."

Katherine nodded sharply, "Yes ok. Thank you." She said, before walking onto the second floor. She ran down the corridor before skidding to a halt outside room 217. She rested her head against the door frame and tried to collect herself before she walked inside.

Her heart dropped when she saw Jack lying in the bed, his face covered in cuts and scraps. His right leg was bandaged and arm was in a cast.

She walked over to the chair in the corner of the room and sat down in it, pulling her legs up to her chest. She rested her head on her knees and stared at his unconscious body, her eyes filling with tears.

--------

Jack groaned and opened his eyes, trying to sit up. "What the hell?" He mumbled, his throat hoarse and scratchy. He looked around and saw his leg and arm in casts. His eyes landed on Katherine, who was curled up in a chair, dried tears on her cheeks.

"Katherine?" He whispered softly, his eyes filling with tears when he realised she was here for him. He reached his hand over and tried to reach her. His heart monitor spiked at the movement and Katherine's eyes shot open.

"Jack?" She whispered, seeing his eyes open. "Oh God Jack." She mumbled, rushing forward and kneeling next to his bed, grabbing his uninjured hand and squeezing it.

"What are youse doin here?" He mumbled hoarsely, gladly sipping the water Katherine handed him.

Katherine smiled softly, "I'm still your emergency contact." She whispered, stroking stray strands of hair out of his face.

"I should probably change it then." Jack said with a small smile.

Katherine's smile fell and she nodded. "Yeah, you can change it after you're better." She said, feeling some kind of hurt at the thought of being removed as his emergency contact.