Break up

"Kath, Ace, please don't." Jack pleaded, dropping to his knees in front of the girl. He grabbed her hands and held them in his.

Katherine looked away, she knew looking at him would make this ten million times harder. "Just leave." She hissed, jerking her hands out of his and pointing to the door.

"Ace! Please, talk to me!" Jack said, standing up and grabbing her arms. He forced her to look at him and he could see the tears that welled in her eyes. "Why?"

"Why? Why, because I don't love you!" Katherine shouted, the words burning her throat. She thought she deserved some sort of award for being able to keep her tears in.

Jack felt his heart shatter as the words left her mouth. "What?" His arms fell limply at his sides as he processed what she'd just said.

"I never loved you Jack." She hissed, using his shock to step away from him.

Jack stared at her and could see the tears that shone in her eyes. "No." He whispered, stepping closer to her.

"Jack just get out!" She shouted, shoving him towards the door. "I never loved you and I never will. I was just using you to spy on for father!"

Jack stopped and grabbed her wrists. "You're lying." He whispered, he knew she would never spy for her father.

"I'm not." Katherine felt her throat burn and her stomach flip as she spoke. "Now get out."

He gave her a soft smile in apology before walking out of her apartment. Once he was out of sight he let his tears fall, he'd just lost the one person that meant the most to him. He'd just lost his angel, his Ace.

"Heya Jacky!" Race shouted, running over to the boy as he entered the Lodging House. He noticed the tears on Jack's face and placed a hand on the boys shoulder. "What happened?"

"Katherine, broke up with me." He whispered tearily, sitting down on the beaten down couch. He took his newsboy cap off and threw it across the room. "What did I do wrong?"

Race just stared perplexed, there was no way Katherine would break up with Jack. He sat next to him, putting his head in his hands. "What did she say?"

"That she never loved me. That she was only using me." Jack choked out, burying his head in his hands.

Race felt tears brim in his eyes. He'd never been a touchy-feely person but seeing Jack, the strong union leader in tears, he couldn't help but be upset. "I'm sorry Jacky." He said, gently giving the boy a one armed hug.

"Hey Jack what's wrong?" Crutchie asked as he limped into the room, the rest of the boys on his heels.

"Kath ended things with him." Race said sympathetically, feeling Jack tense again.

"Oh God, I'm so sorry." Davey said, walking forward and sitting next to Jack.

The rest of the newsies walked over to Jack and sat around him on the couch. They patted Jack on the back and tried to make him feel better.

Les stared at Jack and the rest of the newsies before running out of the Lodging House. He sprinted through the streets and let himself into Katherine's apartment block. He walked up the stairs and knocked on the door, listening to the sounds of fighting coming from inside.

"You made me hurt him!"

"You're better off without him!"

"I love him, and now he thinks I was just using him!"

Les knocked on the door again, slamming his fists against the door. "Kath? Let me in!" Despite being only ten, he had a very loud voice.

The sound of fighting stopped and the door swung open. Katherine stood with next to the door, her face red and puffy from crying. Joseph Pulitzer stood a little behind her, his cheeks pink from screaming.