The Boss

Two Years Later(Five years after the goodbye)

Two Years Later
(Five years after the goodbye)

People always told me that when something so shocking happens to you, it's like you're thinking it's hallucinations because of how shocking they are.

I can relate but I've never felt that dreading feeling where the only option is hallucinations. Yet here I am, experiencing the impossible. My fear, my nightmare, and everything I didn't want to happen.

I've been working at Verrin's company for the past two years. I did not realize how massive his company was and how much it was only going to grow. I had gotten myself the position of his personal assistant in the main office of three that he had.

However, I only had a few more months remaining until I left. After finishing college two weeks ago, I finally decided that I would get myself a penthouse or a small house. It's been lovely living at the apartment but it isn't the kind of place I want Declan to grow up in.

I saw him through the glass doors, laughing as he greeted the security guards. When he walked into the room, his eyes down on the tuxedo he that he was buttoning, my eyes widened.

No freaking way.

It's real.

Why is it real?

Not me, not today, not now. Please, I don't deserve this.

I felt like my world now came falling apart when he walked closer to the group of workers. When Verrin held a meeting last week to say that he would be moving to another state to run another building, I wasn't expecting his replacement to be him. His lips formed into a smirk and I tried my best not to let the act fall.

"Good morning," his eyes drift off around the room and I finally allowed myself to exhale the breath I was holding on to. The clipboard that I was tightly holding onto reminded me that I needed to stop freaking out. My fellow coworkers mumbled back a response while I remained silent.

It's been five years.

Five freaking years since I've seen the face of Kolson Starvi in person. You'd think crossing so many years you'd believe you never have to see him again for the rest of your life but here he was.