The letter

Day off

Day off.

I can't remember the last time I genuinely had a day off from work besides holidays and weekends.

The entire building is under investigation because of the intrusion last night. There was no proof that the man left the office since the parking lot cameras were blurry because of the rain. I was on edge all morning and night. Who was the intruder and how did I know him. How did he know Kolson?

When the cops arrived and they did a small test to make sure I was harm, we were allowed to leave. I did but Kolson had to stay back. Being the owner and all. Now it was morning, I woke up later than usual, just in time to get Declan ready for school. Afterward, I just responded to some emails I was avoiding and kept it cool.

Until Kolson called.

"I need you to come collect your laptop. You have work to do for the gala next week," he flatly said. I got anxious at the reminder that the big gala was next week. "Okay, I'll be there," I assured him and ended the call there. After grabbing my keys and making sure my outfit was fine, I left. When I arrived at work, it was completely empty for a change. The door was open like expected and I made my way upstairs. Not gonna lie, my heart was racing at the thought that the man could still be here.

I opened Kolson's office door and flashes from when we were locked in here hit me hard. His hand on my waist, the look in his eyes as he held his hand over my mouth. Shaking my head as if it would get the image away, I snapped back into reality. My black laptop was resting on his desk and I wasted no time grabbing it so I can get out of here quicker. In the process, I accidentally threw down two papers that were under the laptop.

"Shit," I cursed and put the laptop back on the table so I can get the papers. One of them was a printed email but the other was a smaller envelope with my name written boldly across it in black ink. My eyebrows furrowed when I notice there were no addresses or stamps and it was already opened. Well, it has my name on it so I deserve to open it. So I did, I opened it unprepared for what I was about to read.

Dear Treasure,

I fucked up. No surprise there, I always fuck things up when you're involved. You see...I didn't know what I was thinking. But I was thinking a lot. It was obvious that you were going to do great things in Cali. And you did. Fuck Siya. You own a hotel. I was only going to hold you back. It's all I felt like I ever did. I don't regret leaving you on that doorstep because I feel like if I didn't, I would have fucked up worse somehow or you wouldn't have the life that you made for yourself.