The Boyfriend

"What?" Sage blurted out

"What?" Sage blurted out. My eyes fell to the ground in shame. Neither of us said anything, the only thing to be heard was the cars outside the complex. Quinton and Chelsea remained quiet, almost forgotten. My heart was doing backflips in the middle of this situation. I tried to avoid this for years, and for the worse time for it to happen, it happened.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She whispered in disappointment. I felt terrible. She probably hates me and feels like she cannot trust me. I don't blame her. I lied to her. "I didn't want to bring him up again, but then he showed up and I was reminded I didn't tell you, and then I know you would hate me since I kept the lie for so long," I rambled off.

She stared at me for a couple of seconds, just taking in what I hopelessly had to say. I wanted to know how Sage was feeling and what she was thinking. "I get it. That was honestly my first thought was that you lied to me when you could have told me the truth. But I know it must have been hard and you went with the easy choice. If you don't want to tell me the details, that's fine. But I deserve to know why Kolson isn't even in the little guy's life," she seriously told me. She was right. She does a lot for Declan. She deserves to know.

"I know, you deserve to know everything," I agreed. "You girls could have the apartment tomorrow. I'll take Declan to the arcade so the three of you could catch up and such," Quinton joined in. The idea did sound good but what was I suppose to say when she asked me why I forgave him after leaving for two years? No one knows about the rape story that happened seven years ago.

Only Verrin, Kolson, and the man himself. Thank God he's still in jail. "Okay sure," Sage confirmed, and then Chelsea and I followed. I'll have to think of something was the last thought running through my head before I walked into my bedroom. Thankfully, all that shouting didn't manage to wake Declan up.

The next day, when I got to work, everything was normal. This morning, however, it was not. There was much more tension in the apartment and everyone was cautious with what to say and do while moving around the apartment. Hopefully, later I'll get a chance to fix that. I've been contemplating for the past couple of hours if I should tell them about Verrin's dad.