Chapter Fifteen

Twenty minutes before qualifying, Chase ran up to me and Emily, dressed in his fire suit, and grabbed my hand. "You two are coming with me," he demanded playfully. He started dragging me with him, and I willfully let him.

Emily just stared at me in surprise and followed behind me. Chase pulled on me harder, and I knew he was rushing to get to his car for qualifying, so I started jogging and so did him and Emily. We finally reached his pit stall, where his beautiful blue Napa 9 car waited to be driven. I had never been that close to a car of my favorite driver, so I savored the moment. I grabbed my phone and started taking pictures.

I took a bunch of stupid corny selfies, like me pointing at the 9 on his car and me doing peace signs and making a duck face. I was about to take another selfie, this time more serious, when Chase's head popped into my picture. His tongue was sticking out and the wind was blowing through his hair.

"SELFIE!" he mocked, sounding like a teenage girl.

"YAS!" I mocked back, and I took the picture.

We stood up, and Chase straightened up his fire suit. I had seen him wearing his fire suit on tv many times, but seeing him wear it in person was much better. He looked so good. The dark blue color was a perfect match for his dark tan skin. The fire suit accented his body very well, and I found myself staring at his butt. I could not help but notice another area on his body as well.

Emily noticed me staring where I should not have been and nudged me. She started raising her eyebrows and going, "Mhmmmm...". I just put my hands over my face and started giggling.

"Shut up," I playfully said.

Chase walked up and put my hands in his. "You guys get the best seat in the house," he said while walking backwards toward the pit wall.

He held my hand to help me get over the wall, and he helped Emily over the wall as well. I did not like him touching her, but I trusted him and did not let it bother me.

He grabbed my hand again and led me to his pit box. He helped me and Emily up the ladder, and we sat down in the chairs. The view was amazing from up there. We could see the stands and the front straightaway of the track. We was right at the start finish line but sitting above it, providing us with a perfect view of the action.

Chase leaned over and took me by surprise. He kissed my forehead, and it cause my stomach to flutter like a million butterflies were flying around in it. "Enjoy qualifying, babe," he whispered.

I took a deep breath and looked into his eyes. "We will, Chase," I smiled. "Go show em how it's done," I said with a wink. "Just be safe and have fun."

"Oh I'll show em how it's done," he joked.

Emily wished him luck, Chase and I winked and smiled at each other, I blew him a kiss, and Chase climbed out of the pit box and walked to his car.

Emily and I started fangirling over the fact that Chase kissed my head and called me babe. We freaked out and giggled about each other's guys for about five minutes, then we heard the announcer say qualifying was about to begin.

The drivers were in their cars, and I was standing at the edge of the pit box, looking down on Chase. My heart sped up as the drivers cranked their cars. They backed out of their pit stalls and headed down pit road to the track.

After two rounds of qualifying, Chase made his last run. He sat on the pole (in first place), but there were still two drivers who had to make their laps. My heart was pounding as Ryan Blaney and Kyle Larson made their laps. I stared at the leaderboard until their positions were posted.

"OH MY GOD HE DID IT!" I screamed and jumped when I saw the final qualifying line up. Chase had qualified first!! Ryan qualified second, and Kyle qualified fourth. Dylan had qualified twelfth. I quickly climbed out of the pit box and ran over to Chase's car. I do not know what came over me, but I jumped into his arms and hugged him when I saw his smile.

I stayed in his arms, and he held me up with nothing but his strength. I wrapped my arms around him, and he wrapped his arms around me. "You did it, Chase," I congratulated him. I could feel him smile, and his warm breath on my neck sent chills down my spine as he hugged me.

He did not set me down until his crew chief walked up. I moved out of the way to let them talk, and I saw several of his crew members eyeing me. I became extremely embarrassed that I just jumped in his arms with everyone around.

The guys had to go back to the garage and go over data and statistics and strategy with their crew chiefs, so me and Emily were left alone. They told us they would text us when they were done so we could meet up. We decided to walk around and try to meet some more drivers.