Chapter 24

Back in National City, Alex wanders nervous through the bedroom. She's been thinking about this for months now. She always knew that Sam was the one for her. It felt different than with Maggie.

Everything was planned out. Sam would be at work for a few more hours now, Ruby is at her friend's house, the table downstairs is set up. Everything was ready. Besides Alex nerves. She felt scared and couldn't control her hands, which shake the whole time.

She stared down at the ring between her fingers. What if she says no?

Nervous, she called Kara for the fourth time. Please pick up, pick up Kara.

"Alex? It's in the middle of the night here..."

"Finally! I need your help Kara! I'm so nervous. I don't know what to do," She rushes her words.

"Alex, slowly please," Her hand brushes trough Lena's hair, which lays sleeping on her shoulder.

"I want to ask her if she wants to marry me."

"WHAT?!," Kara says a little bit too loud. Groaning, Lena opens her eyes. "Sorry beautiful."

"Who's that?"

"Alex, she wants to ask Sam if she wants to marry her."

"She will what?," Now she's awake.

"Can you two stop whatever you're doing and help me please?"

"Of course sorry. What do you need?"

"I'm so nervous Kara, what if she says no?"

"She won't say no," Lena says, while she lays back down on Kara's shoulder, which turned the phone on speaker.

"But if..."

"She won't!"

"How can you be so sure?"

"Alex, I have eyes. I saw the looks she gives you and how she talks about you ALL the time when we're alone in the office. 'Alex did this, Alex told that...' She loves you."

"But what if she doesn't want me near Ruby?"

"Are you kidding? You love Ruby like she's your own. Sam knows that and she loves the way you're with her. They both love you. Stop thinking, she will say yes."

"Thanks... Kara give her a hug from me."

"I will."

"I really miss you two..."

"We miss you too."

"Are you coming to my birthday?"

"Yes, of course. We will stay a few days, I think. We haven't planned much."

"Ok, perfect. Ok thanks guys. I think I take a shower to calm down more."

"Call us, no text me when you asked her!"

"I will, bye!"

"Bye Alex!"

Still nervous, Alex gets under the shower. When she got out, she changed into new clothe. She gets down to wait for Sam and purse herself some Wine to calm her nerves. She fells the ring in her pocket.

"I'm home!"

"Sam! Stay there! Don't move!"

Confused, Sam stays in the front door. Alex jumps up from the couch and runs to her.

"Is everything ok?"

"Yes, everything is perfect. Why? How was work? Are you hungry?"

"Ehhh... Where's Ruby?"

"With a friend. Let me help you."

"Alex, are you ok? You're acting weird."

"Weird? How?," She laughs nervous.

"Just weird. You're shaking, Alex what's up? Calm down ok," She pulls her into a tight hug and press a kiss on her cheek.

"Sorry... I just... I wanted to make a romantic dinner for you..."

"You did?"

"Yeah... and I didn't know how you would react."

"That's really sweet."

Smiling, Alex pulls her to the table.

"That looks really good."

"Sit down, I get the food."

In the kitchen Alex takes a deep breath. Ok calm down Alex, you can do that.

She carries the food out. While eating, Sam talks about her day in the office.

"Alex? Are you listening?"

"What? Yes, yes sorry."

"Hay... talk to me. What's on your mind?"

"It's... I've been thinking about us. Sam, I really love you. I love Ruby. And I can't think about a life without you two."

"I love you too Alex."

"No wait... I need to say this...," Slowly, Alex gets up and knees down in front of her, "I was never so much in love. Thinking about losing you... it kills me. I can't lose you. I love you so so much. Since the day a met you, since the game night at my sister's place... I can't think about someone else. You're always in my mind. Always."

She takes out the ring and looks up again.

"Sam... Will you marry me?"

Nothing.

Sam is completely wordless.

"Alex..."

"Please?"

"Of course... Yes... of course!," Some strain tears escape her eye.

Relieved, Alex puts the ring on her finger. Sam pulls her into a kiss and looks down at her hand. She can't believe that this happened.

. . .

Alex:
SHE SAID YES! I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

Kara reads her messages and starts to laugh.

Kara:
We told you she would, idiot.

"What's so funny?"

"Sam said yes," Kara shows Lena the phone.

"She's just like you."

"What do you mean?"

"Oblivious."

"Alex? Have you meet Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"She's definitely not. WAIT! I'm not oblivious!"

"Well..."

"Maybe I was, but not anymore!"

"Fine fine, let's not fight about this. We wanted to go to the beach, remember?"

"Are you still sure about this?"

"Yes, why?"

"It's just... I'm scared that you get a panic attack... you can't cover your body and... You're still not comfortable."

"I'm fine... as long as you're with me."

"Ok, but the moment you feel uncomfortable we will leave again!"

"Sure."

Kara changed into her bikini and starts to pack their bag for the beach while Lena changed herself.

"You're starring... again," Lena says after she got out of the bathroom again.

"I'm sorry, I can't get over how beautiful you look."

Quickly, Lena grabs a shirt from Kara and puts it on.

"Are you ready?"

"Sure, let me just enjoy the view for a view more moments."

"Stop starring," Lena blushes and throws a pillow at Kara.

"Ok ok, we can go."