Chapter 33

It's been a busy day at the DEO. Some escaped their prison and are now terrorizing the building.

"Aleeeeex!," Winn shouts scared. A white martian is standing over him.

Quickly, Alex runs over to him. Why is this always happening when Kara is gone?

"Winn, head down!," She shouts before she fires at the martian.

"Thanks Alex!"

"Get up again and help!," She pulls a gun in his hands and runs to another one who needs help.

Finally, there was just one left.

The alien is standing over Alex and pulls her down.

Winn holds the gun up, his hands are shaking. Right in the moment he shots at the alien, Alex jumps up and escapes him. The bullet hits her back.

"Alex no!"

She tries to ignore the pain and brings the alien down. Right after they cuffed him, she falls down to the ground.

"Alex! Omg! Alex!"

They bring her into the lap and try to remove the bullet.

Winn feels really bad for shooting her and runs the hallway up and down. It's been hours since she's been in surgery.

Suddenly, Alex phone starts to ring. They gave him her stuff to keep them safe.

Sam's name appears on the display.

"Shit...," Hesitant, Winn's answers the phone, "Hay Sam..."

"Alex what do you want for dinner? Wait? Winn? Is that you? Where's Alex?!"

"She... there was an accident."

"What happened?"

"She's in surgery... she got shot..."

"I'm coming!"

Sam gets Ruby out of school and drives to the DEO. Not much later they stand in front of Winn.

"I am so sorry!," He says.

"How is she?"

"I don't know..."

"Winn what happened to her?"

"Some aliens escaped and... the last one stood over her and I... I tried to shot him but when I pulled the trigger, she jumped up again... the bullet hit her in the back..."

"How could that happen..."

Worried, they wait in front of the room. After a few more minutes, Sam and Ruby sit down on the ground.

"Mum... is Alex gonna be ok?"

"I hope so... She's strong Rubs... She can do it."

30 Minutes later, a doctor leaves the room.

"How is she?!"

"She's good, we brought her to the room. She should wake up in a few minutes," He brings them to her.

"Oh Alex...," Sam sits down next to her and takes her hand in her own.

Ruby crawls on the bed.

Slowly, Alex wakes up again and groans in pain.

"Shh babe, don't move."

"Sam...?"

"Yes, I'm here. We're here."

Alex opens her eyes, her view is still a little bit blurry but she recognized their body outlines. She feels the warmth of Sam's hand and squeezed it soft.

"What happened?"

"Alex I'm so sorry," Winn says.

After some more minutes, Alex remembers everything.

"Winn... It's not your fault."

"But... I shot you..."

"Yes but it's not your fault... I'm good Winn."

He nods soft and stares guilty on the ground.

"Winn, can you leave us alone?"

"Sure."

Worried, Sam looks down at her. The fear is still in her eyes.

"Sam I'm good..."

"You could've...died," She whispers.

"But I didn't...," Careful, she tries to sit up, but Sam pushed her down again.

"Don't move."

"Come here... please."

Slowly, Sam lays down next to her. Ruby does the same and cuddles up to her.

Together, they lay on the bed.

. . .

It's the next day, Sam and Alex are alone in her room in the DEO.

"Alex we need to talk."

"About what...?"

"About what happened. Alex, I'm so scared to lose you. This wasn't the first time that this happened.. Alex I can't lose you...," Tears start to fall down her cheek.

"You won't lose me Sam, I promise."

"You can't promise that. What if something happens to you..."

"I know, but Sam... I... that's me..."

"But Alex... It's not just Ruby and me..."

Alex looks at her with a confused look on her face.

"It worked Alex."

"What... what are you talking about?," When she was honest, she already knew what she meant but she needed her confirmation.

"I'm... I'm pregnant."

Alex is completely overwhelmed. They talked about this for months and asked Lena if she could help them. But she didn't know that Lena and Sam already tried it.

She sits up, ignoring the pain in her back and pulls Sam in a hug.

"We will get a little baby girl..."

"Yes," Sam smiles and presses a kiss on her forehead.

Still overwhelmed, Alex lays a hand on Sam's stomach. A tear escapes her eye.

Weeks later, Alex searches J'onn to talk to him.

"J'onn do you have a moment?"

"Sure."

They go into an empty conference room.

"I don't know how much longer I can do this J'onn. I put my life on the line every day. And every day I run the risk of losing it... and I feel like I haven't even had the chance to really live it yet. I'm afraid that if I don't make a move soon... if... if... I don't reach out and take hold of my future... of what my heart wants... then I'm never really gonna be happy. So that said I... ehm... I want to give notice so that I can find my new beginning. And I can have a family of my own or more... to be there for my family."

"You're a hero. It's in your blood. You can't resign."

"What do you mean?"

"I want to promote you. This year I had the most priceless gift. I found my father. I lived with him. I learned from him. He reminded me that the Martian way is to live amongst the people and to help them. Not in hiding behind walls like it happen here but with open hands and compassion."

"You're stepping down?"

"I am. But I am not leaving you. I'd would never leave my family. Alex, I want you to run this place. Be the director. With you in charge, I feel the DEO will stay on the right path of protecting this planet and helping those who cannot help themselves. And... being in charge you won't have to put yourself in the field all day, risking your life. You don't have to deny any part of yourself to be complete. You can have a family and you can be a mother."

He smiles at her.

"Congratulations director," He pulls her into a hug.

"That's not how I saw this going..."