Overwhelmed

Chapter 19

So, last chapter I accidently changed my writing from past tense to present. I'd just like to inform you guys that although it was an accident, my writing will now stay in present tense.

As I wait for Kai to finish talking with his mother and father, I sit outside and allow Bellamy's words to replay in my head over and over again. He wants to be apart of our child's life. But how can he say that when his actions say something completely different? I don't even know if I want this baby. The only thing I know for certain is that Bellamy is making my choice a lot easier by proving that we're irresponsible teens that cannot look after a newborn.

"Hey," Kai says as he emerges from the tent.

"Hey," I smile, standing up to meet him.

"Sorry that took so long. Mom couldn't stop going on and on about how much she missed me."

"That's okay. You deserved that time with her. She clearly was worried about you."

Despite my positive energy, Kai can see the sorrow in my eyes. Not for him, but for me. The fact that my mother was never that way. The fact that she is dead because of me. Because of my crime: my pregnancy.

"I'm sorry. I didn't-"

"It's okay. Really. You should be able to talk about your mom without worrying about hurting my feelings," I explain. "I'm just glad you have someone like that in your life."

"Well, she'll be in yours soon."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well, when she gets to earth she wants to meet you. To get to know you. To give you a big ass hug."

I look confused by his words.

"Her words not mine, Quinn."

"Well, that's really sweet. But she doesn't have to-"

"Nonsense. You're part of the family now. You and your little one."

I don't know what to say. I've never known such kindness in my life. Why does Kai's mom want to know me? I'm a disgrace. A teen, unmarried, whale. I'm not even with the father of my child. From anyone else's point of view, I'd be... well, unmentionable. I really don't understand why I'm getting this love and 'new family'. It's so foreign to me. I just can't understand it.

"Kai-"

"You don't have to say anything, Quinn. I can imagine this is a little overwhelming."

A little?

"Just think it over, okay? And know whatever choice you make, I'll understand and support you."

"Okay, Kai," I say with a nod. "I'll think it over."

"Good. Now, shall we check on the patient," he nods over to Finn's tent. "He's probably bored out of his freaking mind."

"Hardly. He has two women fighting for his love and we've only been on the ground for a short while."

"Still, he could use some entertain."

"You mean me?"

"Not just you, sissy. Me, too."

"Okay, okay," I say, holding my hands up. "You can be entertaining, too."

"If I catch you lying to me, Quinnie. I won't be happy."

And automatically, I snap, "Don't call me that!"

I didn't mean to be rude and snap at Kai like that, but I can't help it. It's like that nickname is a trigger word or something. Every time I hear it, I think of her.