Waters Broken

Chapter 29

I get too excited when I hear Bellamy sending people out to hunt. Way too excited. I practically run over to get a gun.

"Wait a minute, Quinn," Bellamy says, putting his hand on the gun I reach for. "You're not going."

"What?" I question. "What the hell are you talking about? I can go. I want to go."

"You just got burnt trying to help us, you're about to give birth any second, and now this? Hell no. I won't allow it."

"Bellamy, we're not going to do this again."

One step forward, and five steps back.

"You're not going to tell what to do," I tell him. "I don't care what you say, I'm not staying put until I give birth. I mean, for all we know, that could be ages from now."

I wish I chose my words more careful. I wish my luck was better. But more than anything, I wish I didn't feel a wetness between my legs the moment after I jinxed myself.

Looking down, I realise the truth.

Fuck!

"Seems it's not that long after all."

He's trying to be smart with me, but it's not clever. Not at all.

Prick.

"I guess I'll stay," I say, waddling back to my tent.

"I'll go with her," Clarke rushes after me. "Come on, let's get you checked out."

~

"You know, as much as I like you, Clarke. I was never expecting to get so up and personal with you," I try and joke to break the awkwardness of her looking between my legs.

"Trust me, me neither," she says, removing the gloves and looking back up at me. "You're only two centimetres dilated."

"And what does that mean?"

I'm sorry, I'm not the brightest. But I've never had a baby before. I thought you just piss yourself, and then push, push, out comes baby.

It would be a dream if this was the truth.

"It means you've still got a long way to go."

Fuck me.

"You have to wait till your ten centimetres before you can have this baby."

"And how long will that take?"

"Depends. Some women, not long. Others, a bit longer. And considering you're a first-time mom, it probably won't be any time soon."

Oh god.

"How long, Clarke?"

"Over twenty-four hours, but everyone is different."

No!

"Can I get up?" I ask.

"Of course. Walking tends to help things move faster."

Thank god.

"But you can't leave camp."

"What? Why?"

Is she trying suffocate me?

"Quinn, if you end up giving birth in the middle of the woods, it won't do anyone any good."

"But-"

"No buts. I'm serious, stay in camp."

"Where are you going then?" I ask, already knowing the answer.