Confrontation

Again, I apologise for such a short chapter. Please enjoy anyways :)

Chapter 33

Five years ago... (age 12)

I remembered I was sitting with my best friend, Rory, when I heard my mother arguing with another man. She sounded distressed, and not in the usual way she did when she couldn't find her lucky pearls.

"You almost ruined everything for me," she complained. "You almost ruined our life. What were you thinking?"

I exchanged looks with Rory. "What's got my mother so upset?" I asked.

She shrugged. "I have no idea. Do you know who the man is?"

I shook my head. "No."

My mother never had any men over. Not since my father passed. I don't think she could've brought herself to bring another man into our lives. Especially because she claimed that men are the abomination of the species.

Nice mother, huh?

"Come on," I pulled her along, opened the door and peered our heads in.

"If you ever pull something like that again-"

My mother was threatening someone? When did that happen?

"Ellie, calm down. It was an accident."

"Accident?" My mother screeched. "You almost told the entire Ark!"

Told them what?

"Elizabeth, I know you're upset-"

"Upset?"

Another screech had occurred.

"Maybe you don't care about, but I do. And if you think that you're going to mess up her life, you've got another thing coming."

She? Who were they talking about?

"I don't want hurt her, Ellie. You know how much I love her."

"Love her?" She scoffed. "You don't love anyone. You never have, and you never will!"

I heard sadness in her voice. Genuine sadness. But why was she like that? What could this man have possibly had done to hurt my mother so badly?

"Ellie, please. You know how I care for her. She's everything I had hoped in a daughter."

Who were they talking about?

"Shh!" My mother shushed. "You cannot say those words. Not now, not ever. Understood?"

I could've imagined him nodding. "Yeah, Ellie. I understand."

"Good. Now go."

Once I heard the door close, I immediately turned to Rory.

"Who the hell was my mother talking to?" I questioned. "And why were they talking about somebody's daughter?"

"I don't know, Quinn. It's not like your mother to keep secrets."

And Rory was right. She never had secrets. Even I had more secrets than she did.

"Well, whatever she's hiding, I'm going I find out."

But I never did. I tried, but my mother had her ways of making sure this moment never existed.

Funny thing is this moment reminded me of all those years ago when I knew someone was hiding something from me. Just like Kai is doing right now. Although, he's not my mother. I can crack him.

"Kai, what aren't you telling me?" I ask, stepping closer and backing him against the wall. "Why does your father want to meet my daughter?"

"I- I mean, why wouldn't he? She's so cute and-"

"Don't lie to me, Kai. I want the truth, and I want it now."

I know I may seem out of order, but I'm tired of being kept in the dark. Absolutely exhausted. I just want the truth.

"Okay, but before I tell you, I need you to know I wanted to tell you long ago. I would've if I could've, trust me."

"Just tell me," I plead.

"Okay," he breathes. "The truth is..."

I can't breathe. My heart is racing too much, my hands are trembling like mad, and my skin is drenched in sweat.

Just spit it out, Malachai.

He takes a deep breath and confesses a truth I cannot hear. A truth I do not understand. A truth... that isn't the truth. It just can't be.

"I'm your brother."

And just like that, my world turns upside down.

Brother? I have no brother.

"Kai, what the hell are you talking about?"