Sickness

Chapter 24

I hate him, yet I protect him?

It doesn't make sense. I've been trying to figuring it out for a while now, and I still can't understand why I did what I did. It doesn't work. I can't hate him, and care at the same time. It's just not natural. It's not a 'Quinn' way to think nor feel. Things are changing, and I'm not sure I like it.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I hear Clarke ask.

"I'm doing okay," I smile weakly.

"You sure? Is the leg feeling any better?"

"I guess," I shrug. "It was my own stupid fault anyways."

"What are talking about? You were dragged under, weren't you?"

Yes, but I still wasn't pushed in.

"I-" I'm cut off by the sound of coughing. A lot of coughing.

I grab Clarke's arm. I don't know why, I just do. It's like a comfort.

Weird, I know.

Everyone who went came in contact with John, begin to cough.

They're sick.

"Oh my god, Clarke!"

I spot blood pooling down from her eyelids.

"Quinn, stay back!" Clarke demands, but it's too late. She spots my hand touching her arm, and let's just say, I won't be partying with everyone tonight.

Not that I could before.

"What have you done?"

I don't answer. It was a stupid move, but the damage is done.

"Come with me," she insists and I follow along.

I don't feel sick. Do I look it?

Clarke walls with pace towards John before crouching down to his level as he begins to cough up blood.

Will that happen to me? If so, that's an attractive sight to see.

"Murphy, hey, look at me," Clarke says. "I need you to tell me exactly how you escaped from the grounders. What happened?"

He slowly shook his head. "I don't know, I woke up, and they forgot to lock my cage and there was no one there so I took off." The whole time his voice is rushed, proving how difficult it is for him to speak.

Poor John-

No! Not poor John! I can't believe I even thought that.

Realisation hits us. "They let you go," I conclude.

He looks up at me and our eyes lock. I can feel his pain radiating off of him and drifting onto me.

"Quinn, you need to leave," John says hoarsely.

"She can't," Clarke sadly says.

"What? Why?"

"Because I touched Clarke." Fear dances in his eyes. "I touched her, meaning the same thing that's happening to you, is going to happen to me."

I feel a little choked up. I can't understand where the fear is coming from, only there's an endless source of it.

All of a sudden, Bellamy enters, and I immediately roll away, closer to John and Clarke.

"Bellamy, stay back," Clarke says, holding him still with a single finger.

"Did he do something to you?"