Hero

Chapter 37

I never said I was a hero. In fact, I've never even tried to be one. From the day I could figure out what was what, I vowed to never be a hero. Why? Because I'm my books, the hero always ended up dead one way or another, trying to save humanity by sacrificing themselves for the greater good. And that role never appealed to me.

I'm no hero. I never will be, even in this fight, I can't see it happening. I'm too focused on keeping myself inside the drop ship with Dawn to even move as chaos spreads like wildfire outside. I can tell the others are struggling, but playing that role won't help them. I'll just get us all killed.

"Clarke," Miller calls as he rushes into the drop ship with a wounded arm. "They've taken down the gate."

"Good," Jasper says, popping his head up from under the ground. "Because I did it... I think."

"I'm closing that door," Miller tells us as more gunshots are heard.

"Wait," Clarke says, jumping to her feet and rushing over to the door. "We've still got people out there. Bellamy's not back yet."

Bellamy? My ears raise as I look around, noticing my absent baby daddy.

"Shit," I mutter, following after Clarke.

"Quinn, wait."

Oh, here we go.

His voice. I had to hear his voice right now, didn't I?

I look to my left and spot Kai, making his way over to me.

"What do you want, Kai?" I snap, knowing the dragon inside me will on stay at bay for so long.

"You can't go out there," he tells me, and I roll my eyes.

For gods sake.

"It's a battlefield out there," he continues. "Think of your child."

Looking down at Dawn, I recognise some truth in what he's saying.

"Fine," I huff, handing my daughter over to him. "Take her."

Yeah, I hate him and his lies, but anybody can babysit. Plus, I'm desperate.

"Quinn-" but I'm out of the door before he can say anymore.

"Oh my god," are the first words that come out as I witness the destruction of our camp.

Fire, blood and many, many grounders are all that is left to the human eye.

And to think childbirth was a bloodbath.

Literally nothing remained the same about this area. Nothing.

"Quinn, get inside!" Clarke commands, but I ignore her.

Where's Bellamy?

More slicing and dicing of the 100 occurred, just as we spotted him.

"There is he!" Finn points outs.

I see him. He's in the trees.

"Bellamy, run!" I shout, needing him safe and sound by our daughter's side.

I watch him pick up a gun, ready for battle.

"He's never gonna make it," Clarke says negatively.

Okay, she's normally positive. What the fuck?

"Bellamy!" I yell, providing me with eye contact from him.

"Go, Quinn! Get inside!" He orders.

I'm a stubborn ass bitch. I ain't moving nowhere.