Chapter 34: Detention

After Dumbledore had left Umbridge had given herself even more power, going as far as to appoint herself as headmistress.

The next morning there were notices posted all around the school that read

"Dolores Jane Umbridge, High Inquisitor, has replace Albus Dumbledore as head of Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. The above is in accordance with educational decree number twenty-eight.
Signed Minister of Magic: Cornelius Fudge."

"Mr (L/n)" Umbridge said with a wicked smile. "I think you are overdue for a few detentions, let's start with two months of detention for your lip, blatant disregard for school rules, and your rude behavior towards me and the Minister of Magic. I will see you tomorrow at twelve o'clock"

Umbridge told him cornering him after class. (Y/n) of course ignored this, but come twelve o'clock the next day he was dragged out of the Great Hall, by  Malfoy and a few of his goons.

"Well how nice of you to show up" Umbridge said, as he was thrown into her office. "I though you might try to avoid this so I enlisted a little help"

"Yeah I saw" (Y/n) said darkly straightening his robes.

"Today you will be doing lines for me" Umbridge started.

"Cut the act Umbridge, I know what you're going to make me do" he growled at her.

Umbridge just smirked at him, and handed him a black quill.

"You will write 'I must respect my superiors' until the message sinks in" Umbridge said happily.

"Until I've cut my hand open enough times that the message stays" (Y/n) growled. Umbridge nodded a wide smile on her face.

And so (Y/n) sat there writing over an over again, 'I must respect my superiors' making sure not to flinch.

He kept going and going, filling up parchment after parchment, till Umbridge finally said. "That will do for tonight."

(Y/n) looked up at the clock and saw it was still twelve o'clock. He had been cutting his hand open over and over again for twelve whole hours.

Umbridge grabbed his hand to inspect her handiwork. "Well it looks like this is a good start, we will meet again tomorrow at six o'clock." She said before letting him go.

(Y/n) made his way back to the common room, blood dripping down his hand.

"(Y/n)!" Hermione cried as he entered the common room. "Your hand!" She pulled out her wand and muttered a few incantations, and the blood disappeared.

"That evil vile woman!"

"It's not that bad Hermione" (Y/n) said.

"You've been there for twelve hours!" She practically shrieked.

"She's just trying to make a point, I won't let her have that satisfaction. She thinks she can control me, but she can't" (Y/n) said defiantly.

(Y/n) continued to attempt to skip his detentions and everyday Malfoy and his goons would drag him out of the Great Hall and to Umbridge's office, where he would spend hours upon hours cutting into his own hand with her cursed quill.

"Well now that looks better" Umbridge said, after about three weeks of detentions. The words had been scarred into the back of his hand.

"So are we done now?" (Y/n) asked trying not to think about the pain from his hand.

"Not even close." She said rolling up his sleeve "You still have detentions left. And you still have space on your arm left. I will see you here tomorrow at six o'clock" Umbridge said with her sadistic smile.

(Y/n) was waking to the Great Hall with his friends, talking about the fact that Umbridge had been denied access to the Dumbledore's office.

"Oh I expect she fancied herself sitting up there in the Headmaster's office" Hermione said with venom in her voice. "Lording it over all the other teachers, that puffed up power crazy old-"

"Now do you really want to finish that sentence Granger?" Malfoy's smug voice said.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points for that"

"Only teachers can dock points Malfoy!" Ron snarled at him. "Your only a prefect like us!"

"Oh I know prefects can't dock points weasel king, but members of the inquisitorial squad-"

"That what?" Hermione cut in.

"The inquisitorial squad Granger" Malfoy said pointing to a silver badge with an I on it.

"A select group of students hand picked by the Head of this school-"

"Dumbledore's back?" (Y/n) asked "when'd he arrive back?"

"Headmistress Umbridge (L/n)" Malfoy spat at him. "And how's the hand?" He said with a smirk.

"Oh it's fine, how's it look to you?" He said, holding his middle finger up to Malfoy.

"Well I'll ten points for your cheek (L/n), five points for being rude about our new headmistress Granger

"Five because I don't like you Potter, your shirts untucked Weasley so I'll have five for that. Oh yeah you're a mudblood Granger so ten for-"

Ron and (Y/n) pulled out there wands, but Hermione stopped them. "Don't" she whispered to them.

"Smart move Granger. There's going to be a lot of changes now. New head, new times. Be good now Potty, Weasel king" he said before he striding away with Crabbe and Goyle in tow.

"Now then Mr (L/n) we will be starting a new line today. I want you to write 'I must know my place' until-"

"The message sinks in" (Y/n) finished for her. (Y/n) spent another evening cutting into his flesh over and over, except this time the words appeared on his forearm instead of his hand.

"So you can read each message clearly" Umbridge said smiling at him, as he looked slightly confused at the new placement.

Halfway through his detention however a Slytherin burst into the office and said something about a vanishing cabinet.

"We will stop here tonight Mr (L/n), but I will be keeping you longer tomorrow" Umbridge said, looking upset.

(Y/n) didn't reply he just grabbed his bag and headed back to the common room.