Chapter Twenty-One

The next couple days I talk to Michael nonstop, either texting or phone calls. only to be interrupted when he had to preform, and once a day I would get a picture of a sunset. On the 11th it was from Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland; and on the 12th it was from Reykjavik, Iceland.

Today is the thirteenth, my birthday. I get woke up at 4 a.m to my phone playing Michaels ringtone, 'Besides You'.

"Mikey why are you calling me?" I ask into the phone, while rubbing my eyes.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABE!!"

"Thank you," I roll onto my back with a sigh.

"What's wrong?"

"It's 4 a.m."

"OH NO! Shit," he starts to talk in a whisper. "I thought it was later, its noon here, shit I'm so sorry baby."

"It's okay, I forgive you."

"Was I at least the first to tell you?"

"Yes."

"Good one sec," He pulls the phone away and I hear him yelling 'FUCK YEAH! I WIN!'.
He speaks into the receiver again. "Okay I'm back."

"What exactly do you win Hun?"

"Your affection, and you will always remember me as the first person to tell you 'happy birthday' on your 18th birthday."

"Of course, and when I talk to my grandchildren I will say," I try my best old lady impression. "'when I turned 18 Michael Clifford called me from Oslo, Norway to wish me a happy birthday'."

"Yes and our grandchildren will be grateful that I did."

"What did you just say?"

"That your grandchildren would be happy to hear any syllable drip out of your mouth, I know I am."

"You're such a goober."

"Yeah I know, I'm going to let you go back to sleep, you have school today right?"

"Yeah I did yesterday too."

"Well have a good Tuesday, and great birthday, text me when you wake up."

" 'Til then, bye Clifford."

"Bye Clay."

~~~~~~

At lunch I sit with Tatum, who hasn't been off her phone all day, she hardly ever is.

"Who you talkin' to?" I ask trying to look over her shoulder.

"Luke."

"So you two hit it off?" I give her arm a nudge with my elbow.

"No! He is such a fucking douche bag, he is so fucking full of him self and ugh!"

"Then why are you still talking to him?" It's hard to think that the Luke I met could be those things.

"Because he is so cute! not just his looks, he is sweet, until he decides to be an ass! and not to mention how great he is in bed."

"Holy shit Tate!" I smack her arm.

"Hey Mitchie," I hear a voice from behind me speak.

I turn to face him, "hey Dean, what do you want?"

"Can we talk?"

"No," Tatum answers.

"Sure," I say standing up to follow him.

We finally stop walking when we get to his car. "Do you want to get in?" he asks.

"No."

"Okay we'll just stand here."