3. Dominance and Submission

It's been approximately three days since you've talked to Spencer

It's been approximately three days since you've talked to Spencer. You saw him in class on Wednesday, where he told you he was still working his case and bolted shortly thereafter. If you're being truthful, you missed his witty banter and conversation—talking to Jamie just isn't the same. You can't help but feel this weird gravitational pull toward Spencer. It isn't explainable.

Sighing, you adjust yourself on your bed, sitting up and crossing your legs. Pulling out your phone, you scroll through the short text conversation you and Spencer had Wednesday night, the thread not long enough to satisfy your need to speak to him. Standing up, you go into the kitchen, deciding to distract yourself with alcohol for the night. Jamie's over at some boys house, certain not to be back until tomorrow.

Skipping the pleasantries, you decide to drink straight rum out of the bottle. It's a Saturday night, you've done your homework for the weekend, and you need a distraction. Taking the bottle to the couch, you hum as the warm feeling washes over you. Flipping through Netflix, you decide on re-watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, one of your favorite shows. What can you say, you liked musicals and the way the show tried to break the stigma around mental illness.

"I'm just a girl in loooove," you sing along to the intro, taking a swig of the rum from the bottle.

After a few episodes, you can only describe yourself as quite tipsy, giggling to the action on the TV. You don't drink often--you're pretty serious about school—but when you do, you go pretty hard. Pulling out your phone, you scroll through you and Spencer's texts once more, growing more frustrated by the second that you haven't heard Spencer's voice in three days. Before you know it, you're hitting the call button, pulling the phone up to your ear.

After two rings, he answers.

"Yes?" His voice sounding only slightly strained.

"Hey, you," you respond, a small giggle bursting out of you.

"Are you okay?" Spencer asks.

"I'm grrreat," you say, shifting your position to pull your knees up to your chest.

"You're drunk." It's a statement, not a question.

"Tipsy, not drunk," you reply, another laugh leaving you.

"It's just amusing," Spencer muses, and you can hear a smile in his voice. "You know, there are a few reasons why someone drunk calls someone else: entertainment, social lubrication, confession of emotions, coordination, or to set up a sexual encounter. Any of those reasons why you called me?"

"God, I forget that you're a genius sometimes." You grin, taking another sip of rum. "I just haven't heard your voice in a while."

"Studies also show that people tend to say what they're really thinking or feeling while under the influence," Spencer continues. "Is this your way of saying you miss me?"

You are silent for a moment. "Maybe." Biting your lip, you try to choose your next words carefully. "I'd ask you to come over, but you're working on a case right now."