22. First Case

!!TW!! Mentions of rape, sexual assault, death, murder

"Why do they want me now?"

"I'm not sure; Hotch didn't say."

The two of you are in Spencer's car, heading to Quantico. A lot of your stuff is in your car—having to clean out your dorm the day before graduation. In your rush, you'd stuffed your makeshift go bag with some somewhat nice clothes, opting to use the toiletries the hotel would provide. You dressed in a pair of black slacks, a red turtleneck, and a pair of short heels before throwing your shit in the back of Spencer's car. A million thoughts run through your head, the first being why the Bureau is bringing you in so early.

"I'm nervous," you say, the feeling shooting through your body despite your best efforts to shut it out.

"I know." Spencer reaches over to lace his fingers in yours. "They probably won't even let you into the field, so don't worry."

"Shit, I haven't passed my gun qualification yet," you groan, leaning your head back against the seat.

Spencer laughs, pulling into his spot outside the Bureau. "When's your first test?"

You raise your eyebrows. "Well, it was supposed to be tomorrow, but looks like I'll have to reschedule."

It's 5:30 am. You climb out of the car, grabbing your go bag and walking inside with Spencer. Your guess is JJ is going to brief everyone on the jet. You and Spencer move quickly to the jet. Your heart is racing in your chest as you walk up the ramp, biting at the skin inside of your mouth to try to calm yourself.

"Well, hello there," Prentiss admires as you drop your go bag on the floor, taking a seat across from the large table she's sitting at. She hands you a cup of coffee. "I thought you'd probably want this."

"Good morning," you say to everyone, a cheeky smile on your face. You take the coffee, taking a sip. "Thank you, I'm exhausted."

"Y/n, hello." You turn your head and see Hotch standing. "Sorry to pull you in so early. The Bureau made an executive decision to bring you in now, and I followed it."

"It's fine, sir," you tell him, Spencer settling in the seat next to you. "You did wake me up from a pretty good dream, though."

Morgan laughs. "I'm sure we all know what that dream was about."

Spencer shoots daggers at Morgan. "Hey."

You elbow Spencer in the ribs. "It's fine."

"Everyone strap in for liftoff. JJ will brief us when the plane's in the air."

You strap in your seatbelt and lean back, pulling your arm through Spencer's, letting your fingers brush against the top of his hand. The team talks quietly around you as the plane takes off and you pop your ears, still running your fingers around Spencer's hand. It's been forever since you've been on a plane—but the feeling is exhilarating.