12. Nightmares and Dancing

Four days

Four days.

That's how long it's been since you've spoken to Spencer. You got a text from him when he had landed in North Carolina saying he made it safely, but after that—radio silence. You had spent all four days in his apartment, curled up on his bed in his Caltech sweater, doing homework and watching Netflix on your laptop. You opted to stay at his place because it made it feel like he was here with you—his bed sheets smell like him, his shampoo and conditioner are in the shower, the coffee he uses is sitting on a tin on the kitchen counter. Here, you feel close to him.

You pause the show you're watching on Netflix and sit up in his bed, eyeing the key you had left on his bedside table. Picking it up, you twist it in your fingers, biting the inside of your cheek. Spencer hadn't given you an answer before. Is he going to take the key back when he gets home? Or is he going to let you keep it, free to enter his apartment whenever you want?

You shake your head, setting the silver object back down. Maybe you're getting ahead of yourself; Spencer isn't even your boyfriend. He's just starting to open up to you, and you don't want to freak him out or move to fast.

Picking up your phone, you type a quick text.

To: Spencer
I miss you, Spence. I hope everything's alright with the case!

A moment passes before your phone rings. Seeing the caller ID, you smile and hold the phone up to your ear.

"Hey, you," you say, leaning forward to rest your arms on your inner thighs.

"Hey." The smile is evident in Spencer's voice. "Sorry I haven't called."

"You're working," you reply, one hand twiddling with the blanket on his bed. "You're busy, I understand."

"I should find time for you, though," he says, a grunt coming from him. He probably had just gotten back to his hotel.

"Spence, you're trying to find a serial killer. I think that's definitely more important than me."

His low laugh makes your smile grow, and you close your eyes, savoring the noise. "Well, theoretically, yes. In actuality, you are much more important to me than a nobody who's murdering people to be a somebody."

"Well thanks, Spence." You hear a male voice talking in the background and you raise your eyebrows. "Is that Derek?"

Spencer exhales. "Yeah, we're rooming together." The voice in the background rises and Spencer shushes him. "Morgan, I'm on the phone."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to disturb Mister Lover Boy!" The words are muffled, but you can hear Derek's smile.

You laugh at his words. "Tell him I said hi." Spencer mutters your "hello" to Derek. "How's the case?"

Spencer is silent, and you can hear his big brain going seven thousand miles a minute. "It's alright. We're close."

"Good," you say, biting your lip.