11. Inferno

Spencer's POV

Spencer's POV

To say it feels like the days at the BAU are going slower and slower each day is an understatement. Spencer loves his job—he's incredibly good at it, and the team is his family. But lately, he can't seem to wait to be around Y/n again. She's almost like a drug—a dangerous concept for Spencer.

Spencer leans back in his chair at his desk, fingers tapping on the table, a stack of tests he's grading in front of him. His class had taken the exam the day before, and he had promised grades by next class. Surprisingly, most of the class had done pretty well so far.

"You've been pretty quiet today."

Spencer looks up at Emily, eyebrows raised. "I'm just grading these exams."

"How's teaching going, by the way?" She asks, a stack of files in front of her on her desk.

Spencer smiles. "It's actually going pretty well. I actually really like teaching Human Behavior. Granted, most people like talking about what they're good at."

"Well, I'm glad you like it," Emily says, flipping open a file. "It's been a while since I've seen you as happy as you are."

Spencer's eyes flick to Derek at his desk. Hearing Emily's words, he looks up at Spencer, a knowing look on his face. Spencer knows Derek wants to talk to him after catching him on a date with Y/n the other night. Setting his red pen down, Spencer stands, going into the kitchen area to get some coffee. He grabs a cup, pouring the dark liquid.

"Are you gonna tell me about the other night?"

Setting the coffee pot back down, Spencer adds sugar to his coffee before turning around to face Derek. "I went on a date."

"With Y/n." Derek leans against the counter, arms crossed.

Spencer meets Derek's eyes. "Yes."

"You're dating one of your students, man?" Derek asks, a hint of disapproval lacing his voice.

"She wasn't one of my students when I met her, Morgan," Spencer rebuttals, setting his coffee down. "She was just an interesting girl in a bar."

Derek is quiet for a moment. "You continued it even after you knew, though."

Spencer scoffs, crossing his arms. "So? You have no right to talk about our relationship like you understand it. Or understand us."

Derek tilts his head. "I do understand you, Reid. We've been friends for, what, almost eight years? I know what you've been through." Derek takes a couple of steps toward Spencer. "Which is why I know how hard it is for you to get close to someone."

Spencer's quiet. "She...she understands me. I don't have to explain myself to her. She understands the job, what I've been through. I...told her about Tobias. And Maeve."

"You told her about Maeve?" Derek's voice is soft.

Spencer nods. "I trust her, Morgan. I...I know I can't do anything to bring Maeve back. She's gone. As much as I'd like to believe there was something I could have done to stop what happened—"