Insert 9: Mr Danny Rollins

" The trouble with the world is not that people know too little; it's that they know so many things that just aren't so"
*************************
My dad and mum were melancholy. They wanted everything done perfectly.

Anything that was elss than perfect was considered failure. Lots of awards hung in our living room showing the various achievements of my father and mother.

More than 30 awards hung everywhere in the parlour giving visitors something to feed their eyes whenever they can visiting. Most times when I dreamt, I always dreamt that I was in a room filled with awards.

Whenever visitors comes to our house and they say 'wow so many awards Mr Rollins" my father would reply " We deserved everyone of them. I have a believe that a person who hasn't won lots of awards isn't doing his or her job properly.

I got most of those awards before the age of 40." He would end with a smug on his face. Most of the visitors were always wounded because he was indirectly hinting that they were failures.

When ever visitors say to my mum,"so many awards Mrs Rollins" she would reply them by saying "that's what happens when you have an IQ of over 150. I'm a perfect woman and a perfect woman deserves this things" she would end by gesturing to the awards.

It is as a result of this that many visitors hate coming to our house because they end up being insulted either directly or indirectly by my parents. I normally got D,E or F in my subjects. My best score in school was c. My dad used to get angry.

He was a professor in Harvard university while my mum was a doctor. They were well known in their respective careers. When I failed my dad told me" you are useless. You are a disgrace to this family". Can't you be like Mr Simon's daughter? Mr Simon's daughter was his colleague's daughter. She is a straight A student. But you, you are nothing but a failure. My mum used to say" I was a straight A student till I finished my school. Because of my intelligence, I was made the head of the hospital I work. No decision is made without me. I feel cursed to have you as a child. My mum would then take my best clothes and burn it while I would stand near her weeping.

"Why are you crying Danny?" My dad would ask angrily.

"Mum is burning my best clothes" I would say amidst tears thinking my father would go to my rescue and stop my mum's evil act but he would say "you are such a coward Danny. Boys don't cry. Crying is for only the weak. If you sit down and study hard, you would make us proud."

My mum starved me, burn my clothes. My dad beats me, insults me and reminds me of my failures.

I end up reading books in the library till I had migraines and eye problems. I wanted to be an actor but my parents refused saying that actors weren't people who used their brains enough.
I had to become a banker.

Though it wasn't my dream,I did it to make my dad happy.
I grew up, I got married to the love of my life and had my two children.

My daughter Adelaide is very brilliant and Im very proud of her. I know that she would be 5 times better than me and thousand times better than my parents.

My son Dennis is like a thorn in my flesh. He doesn't know anything. He is a dumb. I love him so much but I can't stand him being dumb.

I believe in this principle. If your child is dumb, treat him the way he deserves, deal with him,starve him, insult him, bully him, he would become useful in his future.

This principle made me who I am today and I tried my best possible to make Dennis turn out to be like me but all to no avail.

That's what I believe in. My dad taught me so.

My son thinks I hate him . No I don't hate him. Sometimes I see my son drinking in the bar and smoking. I've taught him a lot of things yet he is still dumb.

Dennis once told me that he wants to learn a trade. Who does that? I didn't allow him.

Education is the key to success not some kind of useless trade. Now, he still turned out useless and he thinks I hate him. Well my love for him has started to dwindle.

I was doing well in the banking industry until I was framed. The saw my signature in a document and they thought I was the thief. I was sacked but I swear what they thought was a misconception. I would never ever steal. I'm an honest man.

My advice to parent is this- if your child is dumb, beat him up, scold him, starve him and he would learn. My Dad did that to me and I end up becoming a banker. That's the concept I believe in and because of this, I see nothing bad with what I did to my son. I was trying to make him an acceptable young man in the society not some tattooed tout.

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶Do you accept Mr Danny's concept?How do you feel knowing that Mr Danny's father also treated him the way he is treating his son? Do you feel pity for Mr Danny?Me: I kind of pity him

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Do you accept Mr Danny's concept?
How do you feel knowing that Mr Danny's father also treated him the way he is treating his son?
Do you feel pity for Mr Danny?
Me: I kind of pity him. He grew up in a messed up family.