❁ Chapter 7 | harry

"This is a little too far, don't you think?" Casey says taking a bite of her giant turkey leg

I shake my head as we watch behind one of the many fair booths. The performers weren't going to be on stage until 8 p.m which gave me just about enough time to find Nina before dark.

"No. I need to make sure he doesn't try anything," I tell my best friend, glancing at her with a side eye. "I don't trust him"

She takes another bite of her turkey leg, letting out a pleasured hum at the taste. " And what if he does? You gonna go out there and smack him?" Casey jokes with a mouthful of food.

I pout, considering it for a moment. "I don't know yet."

"I can smack him with my turkey leg," Casey offers rising it up in the air. "Feels pretty heavy."

With months of not being able to think straight and constant nightmares waking up drenched in sweat, I felt myself falling more and more into that unfamiliar void of darkness. It was one that I couldn't dig myself out of the more I tried.

I'd even been going to therapy, figuring out ways to better my mind and myself, which was honestly very helpful.

As if my heart couldn't break any more, my eyes finally located Nina who was standing right in front of the performance stage holding her thick camera in her small hands, strapped around her neck. Next to her was Ethan making her laugh. Watching them together truly felt like a stab to the chest.

She was supposed to be laughing with me, smiling at me, looking at me like that.

After leaving Nina's place the other day, I knew right off the bat this man wasn't good enough for Nina.

I really don't know what to do to prove to her that she should be with me and not him, but I was going to try my absolute hardest to win my family back.

"You know, it wouldn't hurt to talk to her about how you feel," Casey said making me look back up at her. "Sucks seeing you like this."

Ignoring the words my best friend just said, my eyes shift back to Nina and Ethan who are now shoving each other playfully.

"You're a lot quieter now too, you know," She begins to speak again with a tone of hesitation in her voice. "I don't think I had ever met someone that smiled more than you have, before I met you." Casey explains. "Now, the only time I ever see you smile is around Lenny and I know as a dad it's your job to put on this brave dad face but I know you're not actually happy. You're not foolin' anyone, Styles."