❁ Chapter 18 | harry

"Casey, stop staring at her

"Casey, stop staring at her." I tell my best friend as she glares right at Ruby across the yard.

"I can't. Just looking at her face makes me want to punch her." She mumbles in response.

I look over to Ruby who is very visibly minding her own business and sipping on a red drink.

Casey and Ruby have never gotten along. Which is strange to me because they both are extremely much alike and Casey hates when I bring that up. I'm not sure why they don't like each other, but I'm honestly not even sure if there's a reason behind it.

Distracted, I don't even realize the tiny human wrapping her arms around my legs. I look down and smile at Lenny, lifting her up and hugging her back.

"Happy birthday bug!" I say peppering kisses all over her and making her giggle. "My baby's 5 now. I can't believe it."

When I put her down she shakes her head at me. "Thank you, dad but I'm not a baby. I'm big now."

"Whoops, I'm sorry. Not a baby. Got it." I say apolitically, ignoring the way my heart wrenched at her words.

Lenny nods happily and I point towards the gift table in front of us. "I got you that ginormous present right there." I smile proudly at the wrapped dollhouse I'd decided to buy her.

She's been begging Nina and I to buy it for her for the past few months after seeing it in a commercial and I'd managed to find the last one in stock.

Sure, I'd traveled almost two cities to get to it but anything was worth it if it was for Lenny.

"Wow!" She smiles excitedly. "Thanks dad!" She smiles but then soon gets distracted with a friend from her class who'd just arrived. Without saying goodbye, she runs off and I turn towards Casey who's trying her hardest not to laugh at me.

"You okay, dad?" She asks me making me shake my head in response.

"My daughter just called me dad and told me she wasn't my baby in the same sentence." I breathe. "No, I'm not okay."

She lets out a laugh and I sigh sadly. "Harry, llegaste! Hi!" (Harry, you came, Hi!) I hear Nina's mother call out. I turn around to meet a wide grinned Rosa walking towards me.

"Hola, Rosa!" (Hello, Rosa!) I say sprawling my arms out to give her a hug.

"Te extrañe! Ben, ayúdame en la cocina. Tengo trabajo para ti." (I missed you! Come help me out in the kitchen, I have work for you) She says with a smile walking me into the house.

I'd learned a lot of Spanish being with Nina for the past 5 years. I wouldn't say that I'm fluent, but I definitely understand it more than I speak it.

Nina has been teaching Lenny a lot of Spanish which I honestly think is amazing.

As soon as we're inside, the first person I spot is Nina in the kitchen mixing something up in a bowl. She's in a white and pink floral, shirt floral dress. Her hair is down to her natural curls and pinned with white clips at the sides of her temples. There's a natural rose color to her lips that make them look even pinker than usual and her eyes were focused purely on mixing the food contents in front of her.