❁ Chapter 38 | nina

When Harry and I had returned from the beach, he'd stayed quiet for most of the car ride home

It was clear he felt a lot of things after what we'd just witnessed and at times like these I wish he would just talk to me rather than keep to himself. I understand he needs his space though and I'm willing to give him all the time he needs. It was currently 11 p.m. Lenny was asleep in her bedroom after a really long day and she'd knocked out on the car ride home. It was nice seeing her happy and excited about being out on the beach.

Looking over at Harry sitting on the edge of the bed, I take in every single feature on his face.

From the crease of his frustrated brows to the way his eyes are drifted, zoned out into the wall as if it were the most interesting thing in the world. His hair was a bit messy from the ocean crisp air and he'd barely spoken a word since he'd talked to Finley.

I know he's worried about her and honestly, so am I. He's very protective over Casey. He's always been.

I know about Casey and her history with love and not being entirely able to trust those around her. Her family fucked her over really bad and it's no lie that Harry was  the only person she has always had that's even remotely close to something like that.

In a way, she was almost like a sisterly or fatherly figure to her. I know that keeping this secret from Casey is eating him alive, although it's been only a few hours.

If I have learned anything from being with Harry is that he absolutely cares for everyone around him. But he overthinks just as much as he protects.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" I quietly mumble. Sitting beside him, I scoot closer to him, laying my head on his shoulder and hearing him inhale a deep breathe.

He tenses at first, not entirely expecting me to touch him but then I feel him relax. I look up at him, watching him shake his head with the frown still on his face. "I'm just worried about her, that's all."

"Me too." I answer honestly. I stare at the hand on his lap, debating whether I should hold it or not.

Funny how we'd been together for so long and just a gesture as small as holding his hand seemed like I was doing it for the very first time.

"This is what she was afraid of." Harry says in almost a whisper. "I told her to go for it. I encouraged her to be with her."

"Are you really blaming yourself?" I respond in disbelief, removing my head from his shoulder and turning my body to face him. "Harry, you didn't know Finley would pull something like that- nobody did. This isn't your fault."

I watch him bite the inside of his cheek, staring down at the floor and avoiding my eyes. "I just don't want to see her hurt. She's going to know what heartbreak feels like. She was open and vulnerable and I told her to be so."