❁ Chapter 11 | nina

Going back to work felt like an absolute nightmare

Going back to work felt like an absolute nightmare. For the last 2 weeks all I could replay inside my mind were Harry's words from the day of our interaction. His face was practically engraved into my brain and I didn't know what to do about it.

Harry told me he loved me and too be honest, I didn't know what to fucking do. I told him I wasn't ready for us just yet. Which was true, I wasn't.

I had a lot to fix. I recognize that 6 months ago things were said out of anger and that it was completely on me. He was just trying to fix things but I knew that if I had said yes to him, things still wouldn't be okay. We'd still have problems. We couldn't just forget everything that had happened.

Since then, I've been distracted out of my mind. I couldn't focus on absolutely anything and it was interfering with work.

Ethan and I were able to work on and post our fair article a few days after the event and as much as Holmes wasn't too impressed with the outcome, I personally loved the way it turned out. Lately, that article had been getting tons of attention from readers and the public which made me feel really proud of it.

And now, the fun is over and I'm in my cubicle working on the final touches of a new local story about a fire that had recently struck at a bakery down the street. It's a never ending circle.

Slowly, I notice all the office cubicles around me begin to flicker off their lights one by one as everyone starts to pack up their things and leaving.

Usually, I'm always the last one to leave my office doing some overtime for Holmes. But today I was surprised when I heard a deep voice call out making me jump slightly.

"Gorgeous..." I turn around to see Ethan standing by my doorway.

"Oh! You're still here." I say with a surprised laugh.
"Thought everyone had already left. I was just about to leave." I stand grabbing my purse and making sure everything I needed was inside before shutting off the light the usually shines over my head.

"Mind if I walk you to your car?" He asked slipping off his coat, folding it into his arm and walking right beside me.

"Sure, why not?" I shrug as we begin our way to the exit.

On our way out the door, I look towards Nancy, the receptionist who gives me a sweet smile while holding up the wired telephone up to her ear.

Nancy was always the last face I saw when I walked out of this building everyday. She was a sweet redheaded lady in her late 40's with a New Jersey accent- a character straight out of a movie.

With the office being so quiet, I'm able to hear the ringing behind the other side of the telephone as she waits for someone on the other line to pickup.

"Bye, Nancy." I whisper to her.

"Bye, sweetheart. You two have a nice day, alright?" She responds.

I thank her and give her a small wave as Ethan holds up the glass door, waiting for me to walk out before he follows behind.