WHAT HAPPENED TO JENNIE?

"You can't go back and change the beginning. But you can start where you are and change the ending." - C.S Lewis

================================

JENNIE RUBY JANE KIM

Who... am I? That was the first thing that comes to my mind. 

I feel hazy. My head is throbbing in pain, wrapped with a cloth to keep the herbs intact.

Checking myself, I have no idea who I am. I feel foreign, strange, and... incomplete. I feel like an empty shell.

I woke up inside a small hut; the ceiling was thatched with dried Nipa, woods, and straws. I look around, spotting a hanging pot with that small wooden chair and a cabinet full of clay pots.

The household is simple, but it makes me feel uncomfortable

The household is simple, but it makes me feel uncomfortable. It feels like I'm not used to this place.

But the fresh air from nature, the birds chirping, people singing and laughing unto a song, eases me. But then a lingering question left me to wonder.

Where am I? And how did I get here? Why is my head bandaged? The last thing I knew was...

"Ow." I grimace, the ring in my ear grazing my eardrums, my head is aching. I carefully press my temples and massage them when I feel a rustle getting nearer.

"Oh, you're awake!" A bubbly looking guy enters with his wet bowl-cut hair, wearing a traditional gray baji and a beige green jeogori.

My eyes squint with my index finger pointing at him. "Who are—" 

"Let me call my father and Halmeoni!" The boy immediately runs away.

I retreated my hand, confused about him, of me, of this place, everything.

My thoughts snap back to reality when I hear multiple steps coming. And there, I saw him again with an older man and woman smiling at me.

"You're finally awake. You've been asleep for days now." 

The man in his late 40s smiles, also wearing the same thing as the boy, except for the Ahjumma who's wearing a hanbok. 

"Who... are you?" My voice sounds small with my dry throat, but enough for them to hear. The guy then walks up to me, offering his hand with a gentle smile.

"Hi, I'm Hanbin. Nice to meet you." I hesitantly take his hand, so he grabs mine instead and shakes it. He then points at the elders behind him.

"And this is my father who saw you floating in the river, Jin-Young." Me floating in the river?  The man smiles at me, waving his hand. I bow at him.