one

[ updated 4/7/21 ]

I sat at one of the tables scattered in front of The Grill, watching the chattering people walk by. Couples, hand in hand, smiling at each other, either talking about their plans for the day while others talk about their plans for their future together. It made my stomach churn.

I've heard many stories of the infamous town called Mystic Falls, and for the first time of my wretched existence, I decided to visit. I drank the remaining sip of coffee left in my mug as I dropped a bill on the table and left. I was distracting myself by walking around the town square. I didn't come here because I needed a getaway and this town was the first I found. I came here for a reason, a rather gut-wrenching one.

Some time ago, I found out where my closest friend lived, who I abandoned for reasons I hate to think about, and took the decision to see him again. I had to; it's been 35 years. I wasn't sure how he would react to seeing me if he even wanted to.

I hurt him a lot, and it hurt me to do it. But I had no choice. Plus, I needed to see him. After everything I've been through, he was all I had left in my miserable life.

I stood outside the enormous boarding house. It makes me question if he lives alone. My hand was hovering in front of the door, debating whether I should save myself and run back. "Don't be stupid," I tell myself.

I rang the doorbell and waited and waited. I was expecting him to open the door and look at me with horror in his eyes, which would turn to anger and pain. But that didn't happen.

"And who are you?" asks a man with raven black hair and an unimpressed look on his face. He was examining me as if I was a danger that needed to be meddled with.

"I'm looking for Stefan," I say almost quietly. The man had no patience, so he sighed loudly and pursed his lips.

"Do you want me to repeat my question?" he says with complete mockery. I could tell he was a difficult person to be dealt with.

"This was a mistake. I don't have time for this," I muttered. But before I fully turned to leave, I heard him call out to me.

"Melina," his soft, soft voice reached my ears as I turned back to look at him. His face was hard to read, but I prepared for the worst. He took slow steps to reach me; it felt as if I was standing there for hours. "What are you doing here?"

I didn't know how to answer his question correctly. What if I said the wrong thing and made him hate me even more? "I wanted to see you again. You know, after all these years, I just thought," I took a deep breath to calm myself after not finishing my sentence.

He was a few feet away from me now, and I just watched him in silence, trying to form a smile on my face which was deemed to be complicated. When he came closer, all my nerves slipped away while he wrapped his arms around me and sighed deeply.

I was surprised by the gesture. I was so sure he hated me, but who am I kidding? Stefan was the most pure-hearted man I had ever met, and I knew he couldn't hate a soul. It wasn't in him.

"I never thought I'd see you again," he says softly as he pulls me away while looking at me thoroughly. The way his eyes held mine let me know he missed me as much as I missed him.

"Me either. But I'm here now, I'm sorry it took so long, and I'm sorry for leaving."

"You had your reasons. It's okay," he gave me a genuine and reassuring smile which made my raging heart rate slow down.

"Am I supposed to know what's going on?" says the man who I forgot was still there. He gave us a quick look as he was still standing by the now-closed door.

The Mending Of Hearts | 𝑫𝒂𝒎𝒐𝒏 𝑺𝒂𝒍𝒗𝒂𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒆जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें