fourteen

The alleyway we were approaching was dark and the air felt wet. I didn't know what to expect or how many men were awaiting us. If this goes down the way I fear then there's no saying that we might make it out alive. Klaus had no intention of caring enough to prevent that.

It was quiet. All I heard was the chipping of crickets and the slow tides that were hitting the rocks. I would look at Lucia from time to time to see how she was reacting to all of this. A small part of me regretted dragging her into this. I would never forgive myself if something happened to her and nor would Jayce.

Klaus takes a sudden stop and just stands there listening. I carefully walk next to him to look at him.

"It's too quiet," his voice was low. We were standing in a room with space big enough to fit a few trucks. On the other side, were dozens of portable storage units side by side.

"Let me check to see if anyone is over there," Lucia whispered. She started to walk away from us until Klaus grabbed her arm which startled her. She looked at him with wide eyes as he met her gaze.

"Let's be smarter than walking into a sudden trap," he tells her. She didn't take her eyes off of his until he let go of her arm. She started to relax and moved next to me so she wouldn't be near him.

We heard shuffling so our heads jerked into the direction of the noises. From it, I saw the dark figures of two men approaching us. It was when they got closer and the light of the moon touched their faces that I realized who they were.

"Seems like you can't get enough," he glared at me. I took a step closer to them.

"Where's Jayce?" I asked.

"Wouldn't you like to know," he dared. I scoffed and opened my mouth to speak but I got interrupted.

"I heard you folks tend to make a mess wherever you go. I'd really hate for you to do that in my city," Klaus declared. The two men looked at each other then back to Klaus.

"The big bad hybrid with daddy issues. It's pathetic really," he laughs, "Are we supposed to fear someone who's afraid of his own father?" Klaus started to clench his fists and his lips drew back in a snarl.

"You think you can come into my city to insult me and expect to come out alive?" he raised his voice.

"Your father told us you were a weak coward. I'm just glad I'm getting to experience it myself," the man grinned. Klaus' face fell and I heard his heart start to race faster. They were trying to get a reaction out of him and it was working.

I stepped up and gave Klaus the look of 'please calm down'. I turned to face the men with the snarky smiles on their faces and I sighed in annoyance.

"Last I heard you were in Mystic Falls looking for Katherine and now you're here. Why?" I asked them.

"Let's say we have an agenda," he breaths.

"And it concerns my brother why? You've had him for years on end, you have to let him go." I fumed.

"I doubt he even wants to go home now that he's missing his humanity," he jeered. My eyes started to flood with anger and I felt like someone stabbed me in the stomach.

"Enough with all of this. You either tell me why you're here or I'll kill every last one of you," Klaus raged.

The man gave a half shrug then whistled. One by one, out of the shadows, dozens of vampires appeared. We were completely surrounded and outnumbered. Three against what seemed like thirty other vampires.

I looked at Lucia because I assumed she was hopeless and afraid but her eyes gleamed with determination and anger. She gave me a small nod which I returned.