eight

"No way, I am not going," I snorted. I was sitting outside the Grill with Stefan since he wanted to spend the day together.

"It's just a high school dance Mel," he motioned. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms as I leaned back on the chair.

"Why would I even be at a high school party," I lifted an eyebrow and he was just looking at me with narrowed eyes.

"Suck it up you're coming. Unless you'd rather spend the day with Damon again," My mouth fell open and I scoffed as I threw a fry at him.

"You're not funny," I declared. He gave me a look and started to laugh.

"What's even going on between you guys? Last I knew you hated his guts," he asked. I bit the inside of my cheek as I was trying to come up with an answer.

"Nothing is going on between us. We just found a way to not hate each other anymore," I shrugged.

"Uh-huh." He was staring me down hoping that I would break and spill everything.

"He's just," I paused and looked down for a moment, "He stopped wanting to kill me or run me out of town which was good for me." I finished.

"So you two are friends?" he raised his eyebrows.

"That's one way to put it yeah," I laughed.

"You know, you should go to the dance with Damon," he pointed his finger at me and I groaned as I rolled my eyes at him.

"I hate you," I said as I got up and pushed my chair in. He chuckled and got up to follow me to my car.

"You better be there," he had a smug smile on his face, and before I could reply he shushed me and starting walking away. "I'll see you tonight!" he smiled and turned around as he continued to walk away from me. I ran my fingers through my hair and laughed as I watched him walk further and further away until I couldn't see him anymore. I am a 250-year-old vampire going to a silly high school dance that will play cheesy music and serve watered down punch.

I turned back to get into my car until a saw a man from afar watching me. He continued to stare at me even after I looked at him so I started to walk towards him to see what his problem was. Once I did, he turned around and started to walk away from me. I stopped and groaned at his disappearance. He looked pretty suspicious standing in a distance watching me like that.

I got back into my car and drove back home to get ready for the infamous high school party. It was a decade dance for the 70s, which wasn't my favorite era. I wanted to come up with an excuse as to why I couldn't go but I knew Stefan would see right through me.

Since I didn't care for the dance and was forced to go, I wasn't putting much thought into my outfit. Simple jeans and a shirt with a jacket would suffice.

Stefan was bombarding me with texts every hour to make sure I was going and won't flake out. I started to get annoyed so I replied with a "ask me one more time and I won't be going" and he hasn't texted since then. I decided to take a nap to pass time since the dance won't start until later tonight.

When I woke up, I checked the time again and the dance had already started and I had about five texts from Stefan. Crap, I said under my breath. I quickly left my apartment and got into my car to leave.

I got to the school and entered the gym. It was filled with decorations from the 70s as well as the music. All the people there were dressed in 70s outfits and I realized I was gonna stand out. I looked around to see if I could find Stefan through the crowds of high schoolers but I couldn't. That's just great.