five

I had been holed up in my apartment for the past two days. I didn't have the energy to leave at all. I haven't talked to Stefan since that night and I wasn't expecting to. I ruined everything between us and I knew he would never forgive me for it.

I decided it was best to leave again even though I promised Stefan I wouldn't, it's not like he would care anymore. The longer I stayed the more people would die so it was for the best. I wasn't playing on telling him, or anyone for that matter, that I was leaving.

I started to pack some of my clothes and all the important things I wanted to take with me. I didn't know where I was going yet but anywhere was better than here. After I've packed everything, I just stood and looked at my apartment. I had thought I finally found a home here in Mystic Falls and nothing excited me more than that. I sighed and sat down on the couch. I closed my eyes but quickly opened them. Every time I shut them all I saw was Stefan's face, horrified, and full of hatred. I decided I would leave tonight. I wanted to take in the town and the people in it before I left. I wanted to remember the good I had here with Stefan rather than the bad.

I was sitting in my car ready to leave. I had parked my car next to the Mystic Falls sign and I haven't been able to move it since I did. A small part of hoped Stefan would call and tell me everything was going to be alright but I was reaching. I rested my forehead on the steering wheel and started crying. All my 250 years of living and I've completely lost the people I loved. First, it was my brother, the love of my life and now my best friend. I didn't know what I wanted to do with the rest of my life anymore. What's the point in living if you don't have anyone worth living for? I didn't want to spend eternity alone and I sure as hell didn't want to spend it with Stefan hating me.

I lifted my head off the wheel and wiped the tears off my face. I looked at the time and it was a quarter past nine. If I was going to leave it was now or never. When I turned my car on, I saw a man standing in front of my car. I almost jumped in my seat from being startled. I looked closely and I saw that it was Stefan. My jaw dropped as I turned off my car and saw him walk over to me. I snapped back to reality and got out of my car quickly to face him.

"I thought I'd find you here," he said quietly, "where were you going?"

"I was leaving," I quickly said. He cocked his head and narrowed his eyes.

"And you weren't gonna tell me?" I furrowed my brows.

"I honestly didn't think you would care," I revealed. He sighed and looked up at the sky.

"I'm sorry for everything that I said to you. I was just angry at the moment and I didn't realize everything you went through and how you had no choice," he came a little closer to me and I straightened myself up. "She was controlling you and when you defied her she killed Roger as revenge. You stood up to her for me and I just yelled at you for it," he looked at me with wide eyes.

"I deserved it. For lying to you about it all even though she said she would kill me if I ever told you," he gave me a sad smile and I just looked at the ground. "I thought you'd hate me for it," I said without looking at him. He sighed loudly and came up to me.

"I could never hate you, Mel. You didn't do anything that I could hate you for. You did what she told you to do so Damon wouldn't die. You went through all that just for me and in the end, you were the one that lost," I felt my eyes well up with tears. I awkwardly laughed and wiped the tear off my face. He held my face and I looked at him again.

"I'm so sorry for everything Stefan. I never wanted any of it to happen," my voice was strained.

"I know," he smiled at me and pulled me in for a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tightly, I didn't want to let go. We pulled away and he had a wide smile on his face.