four

[ updated 4/18/21 ]

Stefan had been bugging me with messages that morning, and I went to the boarding house to let him know that I wasn't crying myself to sleep with a bottle of alcohol every night.

Damon had been there and was hurling insults my way every chance he got. I did the same and even threatened to rip his heart out and feed it to dogs which he found, in his own words, "quite feisty." I soon realized he enjoyed the quarrel, so I made a vulgar gesture and left the house, Stefan trailing behind me.

"Just ignore him," Stefan said as I neared my car in the driveway.

"I know he's your brother, but he's such a-"

"Dick?" I bit my lower lip, and he shrugged. "Yeah, he can be like that sometimes."

"Sometimes?" I raised my eyebrows, and he glanced to the side to hide his ever-growing smile.

"He has a few good days."

"I think I'll die before I see any of them. And I'm immortal," I huffed. He laughed softly, then put his hand in his pockets.

"There's a Founders Day party tonight. I want you to come," he said after a minute.

"Sounds boring," he tilted his head to the side in annoyance, and I rolled my eyes. "Fine, I'll go. If only for the free drinks."

"That's the spirit," he slapped me on the arm and opened the car door. "It starts at eight. I'll meet you there."

"You better not fester me again," I said, hopping into the car.

"No promises," he grinned and closed the door. I muttered a curse and put the car on the drive. I had a gut feeling that tonight would not work the way I wanted.

...

Looking at myself through a mirror as tall and wide as a door, I frowned. I was wearing a black v neck dress with thin straps that fell a couple of inches above my knees. I haven't worn in dress in years, so the sight of me in one amazed me. It wasn't a fancy dress but still a dress nonetheless.

When I arrived at the Lockwood's, the front of the house was filled with people entering. I stood and watched for a few minutes before gathering my breath and entering. The entire place was decorated formally. Waiters were handing out drinks while Mrs. Lockwood was trailing them and worrying about every little thing.

I saw the small bar and sighed in relief; I needed a drink. The man behind the bar let his eyes wander all over me after giving me my drink, and I glared at him. He muttered an apology and turned away.

"When I thought my day couldn't get any worse," I turned to my right, and I saw Damon watching me with mock irritation.

"I could say the same," I replied coldly as I turned away and took a sip from my drink.

"I'm onto you, you know," he whispers close to my ear. I felt the warmth of his breath on my neck, and I shivered.

"I'm pretty harmless, but go ahead. Drive yourself crazy trying to find nonexistent skeletons in the closet," I gave him a tight-lipped smile which he returned. He surprisingly stayed silent as he took in the crowd, I felt him inch closer to me, but I kept my gaze straight.

I saw Stefan hand in hand with Elena, smiling and making conversation with a couple in front of them. As if he knew I was watching them, his eyes averted to mine, and he gave me a sheepish smile. He whispered something in Elena's ear, and they both dismissed themselves and strode to where I was standing.

I gave Damon a sidelong glance and saw him watching them wearily. He turned to look at me, and he smirked as if my gaze entertained him.

"Hey, look at you," I hear Stefan say as they approached us.