three

[ updated 4/12/21 ]

I drove to the outermost part of the city to stroll through a shopping mall. I haven't heard from Stefan, and I didn't want to push him. I never enjoyed shopping anymore. It was something I dwelled on when I was human, but after years and years of living, it felt like things didn't matter. I could get anything and everything I wished for without breaking a sweat.

Having purchased a few clothing articles, I drove back to the apartment to settle down some more. I put away the new shirts, pants, and jackets I bought. I made room for them by pushing aside the old clothes I brought with me. While I was in my closet hanging the jackets, I heard my phone buzz from my bed.

When I picked up my phone, I saw a message from Stefan asking to meet at the Grill. I figured he spoke with Elena and wanted to apologize about his distance, being how he is. I replied, saying I'd meet him there at the time he requested.

When I arrived, I saw Stefan by the pool table talking to a waiter. As if he sensed my presence, his eyes flew right to mine from across the room. He smiled, and I inhaled sharply before making my way towards him.

"Hey," he said casually.

"Hey," I looked at the table, "in the middle of a game?" He glanced at the pool table where the balls were all scattered.

"Needed something to do while I waited," he grinned.

"I came right on time," I raised my eyebrows. He shook his head while laughing as he put the cue stick away in its place.

"I just wanted to thank you. For Elena." I gripped the edge of the table, and I looked up at him.

"It was the least I could do for that... inconvenience."

"It wasn't your fault," he crossed his arms over his chest, "What Damon was doing... he was trying to get at me." he exhaled loudly and glanced at my now white knuckles as my grip unknowingly tightened.

"I know. I still had to do something, reassure her that nothing really happened between us." He stayed silent as he surveyed me.

"I'm sorry. I know it must have been hard to talk about it again. About him. I hate how Damon caused it." His throat bobbed as he swallowed. His eyes swam with shame and anger at what I had to do. I stepped closer to break the space between us.

"I've made my peace with it, Stefan, and I like Elena. I think I can trust her with something like that," I said it more to myself than to him, but he nodded nonetheless. "Now, are you gonna buy me a drink or just mope around all day?" the corner of his lips turned up, and he threw his arm around my shoulder.

"Have I told you how much I'd missed you," he sighed.

"No, please do tell me," I mused, and he rolled his eyes.

...

After we had a few drinks, Stefan informed me that I was invited to Elena's house to meet with her friends. I ran through hundreds of excuses not to attend because I was afraid after what happened the last time I saw Elena, something would happen, and her friends would soon despise me too.

We were standing before her front door, and Stefan threw me a sidelong glance. "Is Melina nervous about meeting Elena's friends?" he teased. I nudged his chest with my elbow, and he groaned.

"I'm not very fond of teenage girls," I muttered. He raised an eyebrow in surprise but didn't have the chance to reply as the door opened. I saw Elena and her gaze lingered on Stefan for a while before turning to me.

"Please do come in," she looks at me and opens the door wider. I gave her a friendly smile as I stepped into the house. I heard a pair of voices in the kitchen then a girl with wavy blonde hair popped out.