seventeen

[ Updated 4/7/21 ]

"You know, I've been wondering about something for a while now," I ask Stefan. We were sitting in a booth inside the Grill. "Why did Klaus decide to save my life? I know it wasn't because he had an unexpected change in heart."

"Ah, funny story. He has a thing for Caroline, so she called him and told him to save your life."

"And he just did?" I was confused; I would have never thought Klaus would care about anyone except himself and his family.

"Caroline saved your life since he's obsessed with her. You should go thank her. Maybe take her on a shopping spree," he teases. I roll my eyes and slump back into my seat.

"You are incredibly hilarious," I huffed.

"You know who's even funnier," he points a finger at me, and I shake my head.

"Stefan, if you say-"

"Damon," he gives me a smug smile, and I roll my eyes. "You know he's been incredibly miserable without you, by the way."

"Am I supposed to feel bad?" I ask. He exhales loudly and puts his arms on top of each other on the table.

"I'm not saying you should forgive so quickly, but maybe give him a chance to make it up to you. You can't tell me you aren't miserable either." I stay silent, and a smile grows on his face.

"Is this the reason you met up with me? To play a relationship coach?"

"No. The two people I care about the most are both miserable, and I wanna fix that." I glance at my distorted reflection on the spoon on the table, and he sighs loudly.

"You have been the best thing to have ever happened to my brother, and he and I both know that. All I'm asking is that you give him a chance. Please," I look at him again, and his expression was demanding and assertive.

"I hate you."

"You'll thank me later," he lightly taps on my arm and calls the waiter over for more drinks.

...

On the way back home, I was thinking about Stefan's words. I wanted to give him another chance, a chance to prove himself and his motives, but I was scared. Scared he would screw it up again, scared he would break my heart.

Getting out of my car, I stood a few feet away with my phone in my hand. I was staring at Damon's name, debating whether I should text him. "Damn it," I say under my breath. I started typing out a message until my head was surging with overwhelming pain. I fell to my knees with my hands on my head as I stifled a scream.

"What.. the hell," I spit out. I look up to see two women with their hands reaching out while the third was kneeling before me.

"Sorry, darling. Don't take this personally," she said. She forcefully removed my hand from my head and held it out in front of her. I tried to pry my hand away with my remaining strength, but the searing pain got worse the more I tried to resist. She pulled out a blade from under her shirt and cut two lines resembling an X on my wrist.

"What are you doing," I tried. Her attention stayed on my arm as she started chanting. The X on my wrist sent searing pain throughout my entire arm, which made me scream. And just as fast as the pain happened, it was gone. When I opened my eyes again, the witches were gone, and I was alone on the street in the dark.

I slowly pushed myself on my feet. I looked down at my wrist, and the mark was still there. The lines were bright red, and it wasn't healing. I wasn't sure what it was, but I damn knew being marked by a witch was never a good thing.