nine

I was sitting in a small coffee shop out of town staring at my phone and all the messages I received from Damon. I knew he wanted to see me or talk to me about what happened and where we stand but I wasn't ready for it. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to let him into my life seeing how Katherine and her minions were still a problem.

Whatever I felt for him, I had to suppress. I had been very resilient to ever open my heart out to anyone because I was afraid. Afraid that loving them will hurt them and ultimately be the end of them. It happened to my brother, Roger and kinda Stefan. Anyone that I loved and let into my life had left me and I wasn't sure if I wanted that to happen with Damon. My phone buzzed more and I had grown annoyed so I opened it to read some of the texts.

Hey, I was thinking we should see each other and talk.

Is that a yes or a no?

Well, I am currently at your place and there is no sign of you.

Did you flee town because of one kiss? Because if so, I guess I'm flattered.

Alright, you've ignored me enough.

Are you okay?

I sighed and replied to his recent text letting him know that I was okay and was busy trying to deal with Katherine's friends. He didn't believe me but I didn't even care, I just wanted some time to myself before I jump back into all the craziness that came with this town.

I paid for my coffee and hopped in my car to go back home. I knew Damon wasn't going to stop texting until I met up with him. As I was driving back, I was thinking about what I'll say or do but my mind was blank. I needed someone to talk to about this because keeping all my feelings in wasn't doing me any good.

I parked my car on the side of the road and decided to text Elena. She was the only person I thought of that would help me and she was basically my only other friend besides Stefan. Crap, how would Stefan even feel if he knew I was into his brother. I shook my head and went back to driving. Once I get Elena's advice I'll decide everything else.

I knock on her front door and after a few moments, she opens it with a wide smile.

"Melina hey come in," she motioned. I smiled and followed her up to her room. "What was so important that you wanted to talk about?" She asked as she jumped onto her bed. I went over to the side of her bed to sit on and I looked at her.

"I don't know how to say this or how you'll even react since I don't even know how I'm reacting or what to even do since this is really weird," I laughed.

"Just say it, Mel, I'm sure it's not as bad as you think," she sighed. I exhaled then looked at her with my lips turned down.

"Damon kissed me last night," I spilled. Her eyes got huge and her mouth fell open and she just stared at me.

"Oh my god," she laughed, "I don't even know what to say."

"It happened so quick and I've been ignoring him ever since because I don't know what to do," I huffed.

"How do you feel towards him? Do you have feelings for him," she raised her eyebrows. I looked outside her window for a second to think about my response.

"Yeah I guess I do," I said quietly. She smiled and scooted to sit right by me.

"This is a good thing, Melina. And I know Damon pretty well. He doesn't chase around a girl unless he really liked her," she beamed. I rolled my eyes and laughed as I looked at her again.

"I just don't know if I'm ready," she looked at me confused, "not in the way you think. I moved on from Roger, I'm just scared. Everyone I loved and cared about in life always got hurt because of me and I don't want that to happen again."