nineteen

[ updated 4/7/21 ]

I had woken up early that morning and slowly crept out of bed, trying not to wake him up. I stood outside peering at the slow rise of the sun in the east. I was supposed to be thinking about the cure and the witches, but I wasn't. My mind kept racing back to the events of last night. His warm lips on mine, trailing down to my neck. His strong hands gripping my waist and inching down to my thighs. The whispers of words in my ears. I shook my head, now was not the time to be thinking of it.

"Thinking about me?" I quickly turned around and saw Damon leaning by the door frame, shirtless, and staring at me.

"You wish," I snorted as I pushed myself off the railing and towards him. He grabbed my arm before I could fully enter the room, and he placed a soft kiss on my cheek while his hand found my neck. I felt my heart start to flutter all over again as his eyes began trailing down to my lips. "We have to go," I started.

He ignored me as his lips found mine once again. The kiss was gentle before he slightly pulled away and kissed me harder, pushing me back into the wall. His hand was placed on my waist while the other held my head. I found myself lost in him again, in his scent and his body heat emitting onto me. My hand trailed up his arm and found his head as my fingers ruffled through his hair.

I was utterly entranced and didn't want to pull away from him until I felt my arm weaken at my side. I pulled away from the kiss and looked down at the mark. It was brighter than the day before. Damon was still panting while his eyes reluctantly went down to my wrist. "Does it hurt?" he glanced at me.

"No," I lied. He sighed loudly and pushed away from me. He started dressing, and I watched him.

"You've always been a horrible liar," he looked at me again while putting on his black leather jacket. "Come on," he motioned to the door, and I knew it was time to go. I followed him out of the room and tried not to rub on my wrist. The pain was manageable, but now It felt like my arm was atop flames, burning through the skin to my bones.

"How bad does it hurt?" Damon asked from next to me. We were driving to the Lafayette Cemetery, where the witches agreed to meet.

"Feels like my arm is on fire," I didn't want to lie to him anymore, not when he could clearly see through them.

"Don't worry, we're almost there," he gave me a tensed smile, hiding his anxiety and worry horribly.

I wanted to change the subject, "what makes you think they will help us? New Orleans witches don't do anything for free." His smile grew.

"Courtesy of the big bad wolf," he boasted. My eyes grew in disbelief.

"Klaus?"

"Yup," I scoffed loudly, and he laughed. "Don't worry, he was happy to help. I think." his face twisted. I did not want to be near Klaus after our last encounter. I helped save his life while he left me to wither away.

I let my head rest on the window as I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing instead of the searing pain and the knots in my stomach over the whole thing. I had this sense that something was prone to go wrong, that nothing felt right. Damon must have sensed my doubts when he held my hand and squeezed. I looked at him, and he gave me a reassuring smile and a nod.

...

"Well, this is creepy," we were walking through the cemetery, which was filled with fog reaching my ankles. I felt a chill run through my body, so I pulled my jacket closer around myself as if it could shield me from the danger within the place.

"Where the hell are they?" I muttered. The entire place felt like a maze, and I swear we walked past the same area twice.

"Beats me. They must have sensed us by now," he flicked an invisible fleck of dust off his jacket.