sixteen

[ Updated 3/17/21 ]

"What are you gonna tell him?" I wasn't in the right headspace, and I had my thoughts churning all at once. I felt something hit me, and when I reverted my attention to reality, I saw Lucia looking at me from the passenger seat.

"I'm sorry, can you repeat that," I tell her. She rolls her eyes and turns back around.

"What are you gonna tell Damon once we go back," she repeats. I drifted my attention back to the road to watch all the trees we passed.

"I don't know. I don't even think he wants to talk to me," I mumble. She scoffs loudly and throws what appeared to be popcorn at me again.

"Of course, he wants to talk to you. He is your boyfriend, isn't he," she smirks.

"He is not my boyfriend. We never even discussed what we were. I don't even know if he loves me. He never told me," I groaned.

"From the five seconds I've met him, it wouldn't be a stretch to say he loves you, Mel," Jayce adds.

"Whatever, keep your eyes on the road. We still have an hour before we arrive in Mystic Falls," I huff. He looks at Lucia, and they exchange a 'she's in denial' smile, which made scoff and hit the driver's seat, to which Jayce grumbled a curse.

I thought about what I would do once I saw him. We left on bad terms, and I wasn't sure how he even felt anymore. If the smallest part of him cared about me, he would have called or texted me, but he never did, even when I was on my deathbed.

After what felt like a couple of minutes, I realized we were back in Mystic Falls. I convinced Jay to drive us back to my apartment even after his nagging to take me to the Salvatores.

My apartment was somewhat more extensive than an average one. It had two extra rooms besides mine and enough space to fit an average-sized family. I knew it would be big enough for Jayce and Lucia to stay in if they decided to live with me.

"I'm going to go shower and change. I feel gross after that road trip. There's an extra room or two for you guys to stay in," I tell them. Lucia was still looking around the place, but Jay nodded and led Lucia to the other room.

I threw my bags on my bedroom floor and started to take off my clothes to shower, then grabbed my phone to tell Stefan that I was back. I was very hesitant to do so, but I knew how upset he would be if he found out from someone else.

His response was just as I expected it to be. He wanted me to stop by his house. I told him that I was tired and he could swing by the apartment later today. I wasn't ready to see Damon just yet, and my pettiness wanted him to find me first.

After my very long and very much-needed shower, I went back into the living room to see a note on the table from Jayce. He said he wanted to take Lucia out for a bite to eat, and he did not mean food. I hope he resorted to blood bags since this town has had enough animal attacks as it is.

I heard a knock on the front door, which surprised me because Stefan said he wasn't coming until later. But when I opened the door, it wasn't Stefan who knocked.

"Hey," his voice was soft, and he gave me a faint smile.

"Damon," I tensed up. I opened the door wider and motioned for him to come in, which he hesitantly did. He took a few steps inside but stopped and turned to face me. I was still standing by the door, and when I looked at him, I saw that he was already had his eyes on me.

"Look, I know the way we left things wasn't how any of us wanted to part, and we both said things that we didn't mean, and it was just...messy," he sighs. He took a step closer, and his eyes gleamed. "But you're here now, and you're okay, so can we-"