fifteen

We dropped Klaus back at the compound where his siblings took him in. I had stayed for a couple of minutes to see if he was going to be okay and once Elijah reassured me, I left.

I told Jayce and Lucia to take the day to relax and catch up since I wanted to be alone. I was sitting in Rousseau's drowning myself in bourbon staring at my phone. I haven't gotten one text nor call from Damon which lead me to believe he meant what he said. Stefan on the other hand was bombarding my phone asking if everything was okay and being his usual worried self.

We had killed all the men back there but I was sure they were working with many others. I wanted to figure out how they made a serum strong enough to kill an original and I wanted to stop it. I had too.

I figured I had enough to drink so I left the bar and started wandering around bourbon street until I found myself on an empty street with no one in sight. I sat down on a bench and pulled out my phone. Every part of me wanted to dial Damon's number to talk to him. I wanted to hear his voice again.

I decided it was a bad idea and I didn't want any distractions. Lucia had texted me the address of the motel she and Jay were staying at so I pulled myself together and went.

"Are you out of your bloody mind?" Lucia scoffed. Sometimes I forgot how deep her British accent was.

"We should leave Mel. It's not our duty to help Klaus and his family," Jayce protested. I crossed my arms across my chest and bit the inside of my cheek.

"These people may have a weapon to kill them and if they die so do all the vampires in existence."

"And that's our problem how? We came here to save Jayce and go back. I'm not risking my life and his for a problem that they could fix!" Lucia shouted. I turned my head to the ground and sighed. She was right.

"Let's go home. They are more than capable of protecting themselves," Jayce softly says. His eyes were huge and pleading for me to give in.

"Okay," I nodded. They both sighed in relief and continued to pack whatever items we brought for our trip. I decided to call Stefan to let him know I was coming back and he was just as relieved and excited as they were.

Jayce helped Lucia put all our stuff in the trunk while I was leaning on a light pole watching the sky. I got my brother back and was heading home to the people that I cared about. I should be happy but I wasn't. And it killed me not knowing why.

"Alright, we have a long way ahead of us," I say. They start getting into the car until I heard something.

"Leaving so soon?" says a familiar, British voice. I turn to see Klaus standing side by side with Elijah. I knew this wasn't going to be good. "I reckon you haven't had your proper tour of this city isn't that right Elijah," he grins.

"Yes, I believe so brother," he replies.

"What the hell do you want from us. I told you I just wanted my brother."

"Well you see, they had a weapon that could potentially kill me and my family and I cant go about my day knowing there's a weapon out there."

"Look I get it, you don't wanna die and frankly I don't want you to die either but we cant help you. I don't know anything about them so just let us go," I shot. He raised his eyebrows and smiled a little, which terrified me.

"You may not have the information I need but your brother here," he says glancing at him.

"And why should I help you?" Jayce mumbles. Elijah stands up straight and starts to fix his suit as he looked at Klaus.