ii. miss

c h a p t e r t w o
___________________

Fred and I got to the hospital afterward. We went to his doctor's office for his check-up. Fred told me to wait outside so I did. I sat on the steel bench outside the door.

Sighing, I stood up and strolled around to look for a vending machine. I found a vending machine right when I turned around the corner. I surveyed the number of snacks inside the machine and decided to go for the Snickers bar. Plain old classic. I pressed a few buttons and inserted the only dollar bill I had. It was slightly crumpled and I prayed it went in. Unfortunately, the gods weren't in my favor when the bill did not go in.

"Do you want to borrow my bill?" A velvety voice behind me said. I turned around and was face to face with a strikingly attractive woman. I stared at her for a second, her ocean blue eyes boring into my dark hazel ones. Her blonde hair cascading down her shoulders to perfection.

"Only if you don't mind," I replied. I stepped back to give her way. The woman picked out a dollar from her wallet and slide it right through the money slot of the machine. As I watched her do so, I took my opportunity to examine her all over. It would be a lie if I didn't say she was awfully good-looking. Her denim jeans fit her flawlessly, accentuating her long legs and her ass. Only she was probably an inch shorter. And god, her white button-down blouse hung dangerously low, leaving little to the imagination. I fought back at the tempting idea to look at what's underneath.

"You know, it's impolite to stare at other people."

"I'm sorry, but there's no other pleasant thing to look at other than your face," I smirked.

She faced me and her lips curled up into a confident smile, showing off her prominent cheekbones. "My face or my ass?"

I decided to be outright blunt, "Both." I expected her to be displeased by my frankness but instead, she laughs. Even the sound of her voice was melodic, enough for me to drown in. She shamelessly eyes me up and down in return, as if taunting me in a teasing manner. We were definitely flirting with each other. Her eyes settled right on my chest and quickly averted her eyes but I was fast enough to catch her. "Mhm, you're not bad yourself." She passed me the Snickers bar as she spoke. I almost shivered when our fingers brushed in the process. There was something about the woman that completely intrigued me.

"I'm Chace, by the way. And thanks for lending me your bill, Ms." I paused.

She cocked an eyebrow, smirking, "Ava."

Ava. I smiled at the thought of her name.

"Korean?"

"Half. How'd you know?"

She shrugged with a smile, "I don't know, lucky guess, maybe. So, what brings you here?"

I paused before answering, "I'm here with someone actually. Just accompanying them. How about you?"

Correspondingly, she nodded her head, "I'm here with someone too. A... friend of mine."

"Tell me, Ava, how can I make it up to you?"

"I suppose keeping each other's company was enough." Then, her phone began to ring. She picks it up and looks at me with a small smile as she does so. Her eyes somehow twinkled as we locked eyes with one another while she took the call. "Oh, you're already in the car? Okay, alright. I'll be there in a few."

"I hope I'll see you again, Chace." My name rolled off her tongue so naturally it almost sounded as if it was her second language.

"Likewise, Ava."