xix. game

c h a p t e r n i n e t e e n
___________________

All of us, soccer players, were prepping inside the girls' locker room on the day of the first game. I was putting on my shin guards and socks, distancing myself from the others so I wouldn't have to talk to anyone. I didn't get to sleep that much last night because of what Fred had told me about the reopened murder case of my parents. It kept me up most part of the night and now, I felt tired and drained. The only thing that was keeping me awake was the two cups of caffeine I had this morning and the adrenaline pumping through my veins.

I wore my cleats and threw my bag in the locker. I saw my phone lit up and read the text from my best friend.

Ronnie: I'm sitting third row with Dylan. Good luck, bestie!

I smiled and texted back.

Chace: Awh, thanks, my no.1 supporter :3

I closed my locker shut when I heard Ava's voice telling us to gather in the field. We began to proceed out of the room and when we reached the field, I noticed that the bleachers were almost packed with people. Ava was standing alongside Coach Warren as they reminded us of the strategic plan in order to win against Lakewood High, our rival school in the city.

Coach huddled eleven of us who'll be playing the first half of the game. The remaining five were benched, including Isabella. She was sitting alongside Ava, but the two didn't talk to each other. I wondered if everyone knew that they are related. No, probably not.

The players from the rival school started a few kicks and we began to do the same on the opposite goal. They wore their school's color- yellow. Whereas ours were red. Most of the people on the benches were cheering for us since the game was being held here in our own school.

Tasha notified us again of the game plan before we were occupying the field and Lakewood on the opposite side. Before the start of the game, the referee asked the captains of each team to come to the field. The referee then tossed a coin to decide which team will start first and which goal each team will attack during the first half of the game. Tasha waved at us, signaling that we're going to kick off first. Generally, when this happens, the other team gets to kickoff for the second period. And on top of that, when one team scores a goal, the other team gets to start the next kickoff.

I looked over to where Ava was sitting. She had her eyes on me. And even from afar, I could see the little smile tugging on her lips. I only pulled my gaze away when I heard the distinct voice of Isabella shouting, cheering us on.

The game finally began and Tasha kicks the ball expertly, dodging the opposing midfielders. She shuffled and turned and passed it to Lany when one of the midfielders almost stole the ball. Lany knocks the ball towards my direction. However, it wasn't fast enough to reach where I was because the left midfielder from the opposing team slides her leg and steals the ball. Number 8, a Lakewood player, dribbles the ball and passed it towards the area of the field with less pressure. I took it as an opportunity to run swiftly and slide my right leg in between, cleverly stealing the ball at once. I quickened my footwork and ball-handling when number 8 tried to take the ball back. When I was near the Lakewood's goal post, I outran the center backs and managed to break away. I sucked in a breath and did a chip shot, sailing the ball over the goalkeeper's head and making it under the crossbar into the goal. Our team gained the score.

The crowd erupted into cheers and claps, as did my teammates. Tasha runs over to me and pats me on the back, "Well done, Henley." I flipped my head to see Isabella jumping up and down, grinning widely. Beside her, Ava was sitting down still while she clapped. Coach Warren was shouting in glee. Our other teammates on the bench as well.