ix. fancied

c h a p t e r   n i n e
___________________

I was giddy after the next two classes I had. That nightmare I had hours ago was long gone replaced by joy. I wasn't the disturbed self I was this morning. I was changing into my soccer attire in the locker room when I spotted Ronnie and Isabella in the corner of my eye talking to each other. They were outside the field by the bleachers and Ronnie was smiling at her.

I had my foot on the bench as I tied the lace of my cleats. I was still watching them. It was actually the first time I saw them talk to each other like close friends. As soon as I finished tying my laces, I walked out of the girls' locker room and towards where they were.

With a hand on my hip, I switched my gaze between them, "Hey, Ron. Isabella."

"Chace," Isabella gave me a small smile, "I was telling Ronnie about this small gathering my friends and I are having."

I glanced at my best friend, raising a brow. He puckered his lips in reply, "She wanted us to come."

"A small gathering, you say?" I crossed my arms in front of me. I was skeptical because usually, Isabella's 'gatherings' involved a number of people.

Isabella giggled like she just read my mind, "It's not a party, Chace. Just me, my girls, Ronnie, and you. It's like a little slumber party. But no slumber."

"Why?" I was confused. Why did she invite me, and especially Ronnie, to that small gathering she's saying out of the blue?

"Aw come on, Chace. Don't be a Debbie downer," Ronnie pouted at me, "Isabella's friends, Sally and Heather, actually invited me because we had this catch up during English class and they said it would be fun."

Fun. There was some underlying context on that word. I pulled a face. It's not my scene. Definitely not.

"I don't know."

"Seriously, Chace?" Isabella deadpanned. She grabbed my hand in hers and pleaded like a puppy, "Pretty please? For me?"

I looked at her in amusement and she snorted, "Okay, you do owe me a favor for turning me down. Please? I just want to be friends with you."

I knew she wasn't taking no for an answer so I just sighed and agreed. I don't know why I felt bad when she said I turned her down. Isabella's pretty and she had good grades and her personality was great. I do like to be friends with her even if she assumed there was something more after what we did.

She hugged me tightly and then pulled back right away, "Awesome! I'll text you guys my address. It starts at seven-thirty by the way."

When we heard Ronnie's phone dinged, he clasped his hands and spoke to Isabella, "Thanks lots, Isa babe." Then he faced me and said, "I'll pick you up later."

"Bye, hunnies!" He struts away from us with a dramatic sway of his hips, making both Isabella and I laugh. We heard Coach Warren's whistle so we jogged to the field for the start of practice.

The field was wide enough for us to use opposite sides of the area during the practice. Coach gave a soccer drill for the midfielders and defenders. Our team had many members so it wasn't a problem. She gave us a separate three-way drill for the strikers and goalies. I've been playing as the center forward or the striker for the past games, so I was pretty much on the offense all the time. So naturally, I had to work on my skills, especially my footwork. Isabella was on the other side of the field. She was a defender, specifically a center back. And based on what I've observed she's doing pretty good.

Our practice lasted for an hour and a half. When all of us got back to the girls' locker room, I was beat. I wanted to go home, sleep, and not go to that small gathering or whatever Isabella was throwing. I was back in my earlier clothes after I showered and changed. I grabbed my bag from my locker, ready to leave with Ronnie. Isabella reminded me about the mini get-together later this evening and walked past me, making me internally groan. I haven't really met Isabella's friend, Heather, since we weren't in the same class although I often see Ronnie talking to her before sitting with me at lunch. On the other hand, I knew Sally because she was part of the soccer team, a goalkeeper at that.