xxii. company

c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - t w o
___________________

[ Ava's POV ]

After seeing Chace scream and cry in her sleep, I stayed by her bed for a while until she finally fell asleep. Her nose was tinted red due to her crying and I momentarily gazed at her sleeping figure. She looked peaceful then. Apart from the cool and faint aloof front she had, she was just another person who hides her true feelings. Now I know not to judge someone merely by the exterior personality they want to show in front of everyone.

     I'm certain Chace had battles to face on her own, however, I dare not to ask. I didn't want to pry and seem like I was invading her innermost thoughts. It's hers, to begin with, and in time, she will eventually open up.

     I was back in my bedroom to get ready for another school day. After taking a shower, I dried up and changed into my usual work clothes. Then, I started to cook for breakfast and made sure to leave a plate for Chace. I grabbed my bag and coat from my room and popped my head in to check on the girl who was staying with me for a week. She was dozing soundly and I almost wanted to stay behind then and make sure she was alright after that bad dream.

     However, I pulled myself together and headed out and drove to school. Morning class hours passed by, although it seemed painstakingly endless. I wrapped up my fourth hour just in time for the lunch bell to ring. The students began greeting me as they filed out of the room.

     I grabbed some papers on the desk and moved out as well, closing the door behind me. I was about to head to the teacher's office when someone called my name.

     "Ms. Huntington!" I turned around to see Ronnie jogging in my direction as I closed the door behind me, "Hello, Ronnie. What's up?"

     He clutched his study book against his chest and said, "How is Chace doing? I haven't seen her since the game and we only talked through the phone. But anyway, I wanted to ask you because well, she lives with you for the time being."

     I halted my movement short and was taken aback by his statement. Ronnie took notice of it and interrupted me before I could say anything, "I-I'm sorry. I promise I won't tell anyone. Cross my heart, hope to die."

     I gave him a small smile, "It's alright, Ronnie. I'm sure you won't. And Chace is doing fine. Do you want to come by later after school?"

     "You don't mind? I mean, it's a bit weird that I'll be coming over to my teacher's house to visit my friend who's also a student," he stifled an awkward chuckle as he whispered those words, which made me practically roll my eyes.

    "Ronnie, do you want to see your friend or not?"

     He instantly said 'yes' and I chuckle narrowly at his vigorousness. I then told him to go on to eat before lunch was over. He waved at me and I watched as he skipped through the hall merrily. I didn't know why I asked him to come over in the first place when in fact, I didn't really know Chace and Ronnie on a personal level. Regardless of that, I felt like I could trust both of them inadvertently. And as far as I can see, I think they have been friends for as long as one knows. Isabella happened to spit that information out when she was at my place one day. So, it is probably undoubtful that Ronnie knows what Chace has been going through. Finding out that her parents passed away long ago, I wanted to ask him about her, but I knew it wasn't my place to ask.

     I shook the thoughts away and headed to the teacher's office.

     I handed the excuse letter last to Marco Garcia, Chace's foreign language teacher. He reads it thoroughly while glancing at me with smiley eyes.